The Solar Energy Technologies Office (SETO) issues competitive funding opportunities that fund selective research projects aimed at transforming the ways the United States generates, stores, and utilizes solar energy in an effort to make solar power more affordable and accessible for all Americans.
The targeted strategies supported by SETO include activities that seek to:
- Shorten the amount of time needed to move promising new solar photovoltaic and concentrating solar power technologies from development to commercialization
- Maintain U.S. leadership in solar technology innovation by improving efficiency and reliability, and reducing production costs
- Reduce installation and other soft costs, and open new markets for solar energy
- Foster collaboration for utility-scale solutions and clear the way for high-penetration solar
- Strengthen the U.S. supply chain for solar manufacturing and commercialization of cutting-edge solar technologies
- Invest in education, policy analysis, and technical assistance to remove critical barriers
- Develop a well-trained workforce to foster U.S. job creation in the solar industry.
The solar office aims to support solar energy adoption by making solar energy affordable for all Americans through research and development efforts in collaboration with public and private partners. Learn more about every project in our portfolio in the SETO Projects Map.