The American-Made Solar Prize is a $3 million competition designed to revitalize solar manufacturing in the United States. Competitors may be entrepreneurial students, professors, small-business owners, company staffers, researchers at national laboratories, or anyone else based in the United States with a potentially marketable solar technology solution. This challenge requires competitors to make progress on a condensed timeline, form private-sector partnerships, and secure investments to make their ideas a reality.
On March 22, 2019, Round 2 of the American-Made Solar Prize was launched. To participate, competitors must identify a critical challenge related to American solar manufacturing competitiveness, create a proof of concept, and secure a partner to test a prototype. Competitors will participate in demonstration days, where they will pitch their ideas. At these national events, a panel of expert reviewers will evaluate competitors based on the quality of their solution and the progress made during the contest period.
The second round of the Solar Prize will run concurrently with the first round, which was announced in June 2018.
- The Ready! Contest opened on March 22, 2019.
- The Ready! Contest submission deadline is July 16, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. ET.
- Semifinalists will be announced in September 2019.
- The Set! Contest will open in September 2019. Finalists will be determined at a demo day in early 2020. This will mark the beginning of the final Go! Contest period.
- The final winners will be determined at a demo day in late 2020.
- Visit the American-Made Solar Prize Round 2 webpage for details on the competition.
- Register to compete in the Solar Prize.
- Join the American-Made Network.
- Download the rules for the prize competition.
- Download the American-Made Solar Prize Fact Sheet.
- For questions about the Solar Prize, email email@example.com.