Once your print product has been approved for final publication by the Product Governance Team, you can submit your file for publication. If you're publishing at the DOE Headquarters Print Services, follow the guidelines below.
For more information about getting approval to public your files, see the Communications Product Review Process and Approvals page.
Make sure that any products have publication numbers, if required, and meet Government Printing Office requirements ahead of time.
You must provide your print product in ALL of the following formats:
- A native file (e.g, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.)
- A PDF generated from the final native file format. (The PDF will be used as a visual guide.)
- A printed-out hard copy of the PDF.
It is recommended that you submit your files on CD or DVD. ONLY include the most recent, final, files for print. Delete all working files.
Preparing the Native File
Follow these guidelines when preparing the native file format document:
- Set the page to the final size.
- Show trim marks at the final size (e.g., 8 ½ x 11).
- Where applicable, include 1/8" bleed beyond the trim marks on all four sides.
- Include links for all fonts, graphics, and images.
- Ensure that all images (charts, photos, etc.) are a minimum of 300dpi.
- Convert all colors to CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black). Note that RGB (red, green, blue) images, color breaks, etc., may not convert as you would expect.
- To save, "Collect for Print" before burning to CD/DVD.
Single pages are recommended.
Preparing the PDF
Follow these guidelines when preparing the PDF document.
- Be sure that all elements (e.g., fonts, images, or graphics) are embedded.
- Use the least (minimum) amount of compression.
Please call Print Management if you have any questions:
- Forrestal: Ken Sobczak (202-586-2908)
- Germantown: Henry Spencer (301-903-3237)