The 2023 Collegiate Wind Competition (CWC) called on teams to develop solutions to the siting, development, and outreach challenges associated with fixed-bottom offshore wind energy projects. Over the course of the school year, participating teams designed and built prototype fixed-bottom offshore wind turbines, created offshore wind energy project development plans, collaborated with members of the wind energy industry and local media, and raised wind energy awareness in their communities.
Thirteen competing teams and seven learn-along teams participated in CWC 2023. The competition culminated at the University of Colorado Boulder's Balch Fieldhouse in Boulder, Colorado, where the 2023 teams tested their prototype wind turbines and presented their work to panels of wind energy experts. DOE announced the winning teams on May 19, 2023.
- Overall First Place: Kansas State University
- Overall Second Place: The Pennsylvania State University
- Overall Third Place: University of Colorado Boulder
- Turbine Design Contest: Johns Hopkins University
- Turbine Testing Contest: Kansas State University
- Project Development Contest: The Pennsylvania State University
- Connection Creation Contest: The Pennsylvania State University
- Bonus Siting Challenge: University of Colorado Boulder