Project Website: http://seedinfo.lbl.gov/
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Berkeley, CA
- National Renewable Energy Lab, Golden, CO
- Institute for Market Transformation, Washington, DC
City, county, and state governments are implementing policies and supporting voluntary programs that rely on collecting and managing building performance data (such as energy or water consumption efficiency) and using this data to inform public and private-sector decision-making strategies. Implementing these policies and programs requires tools and processes for collecting, curating, managing, analyzing, and publishing this data. State and local governments rarely have the financial and technical resources to develop and deploy these tools.
To address this challenge and save state and local governments from having to make duplicative, siloed investments, the U.S. Department of Energy developed the the Standard Energy Efficiency Data (SEED) Platform™. SEED is an open-source secure, enterprise data platform for managing portfolio scale building performance data from a variety of sources. SEED can import data from related tools such as ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, Green Button, and DOE’s Home Energy Score and Building Energy Asset Score tools. SEED helps automate the process of formatting, matching, cleaning, and validating data to identify errors. SEED allows multiple parties to work on the same dataset and keep track of edits and activities. SEED’s application programming interface (API) allows selected data to be shared directly with other software tools or public-facing dashboards.
The SEED Platform eliminates many of the technical and workflow challenges associated with collecting and managing performance data for large building portfolios. It has the potential to significantly reduce the administrative effort required by public agencies or other organizations to implement building performance reporting and transparency programs.
- DOE Project Manager: Harry Bergmann
- Principal Investigator: Paul Mathew, LBNL and Nicholas Long, NREL
- Contact us through the SEED Interest Form
- For more information: email@example.com
Publications and Presentations
- Taylor, C., Costa, M., Long, N. and Antonoff, J. "A National Framework for Energy Audit Ordinances", In 2016 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, pp. 448–459. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Beddingfield, E., Duer-Balkind, M., Levine, A., Alschuler, E., and Brown, R. “Putting Data to Work: Using Building Energy Performance Data to Expand the Market for Energy Efficiency in Buildings.” In 2016 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, pp. 324–335. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Aziz, A., Lasternas, B., Alschuler, E., Loftness, V., Wang, H., Mo, Y., Wang, T., Zhang, C., Sharma, S., and Stevens, I. “Supporting Building Portfolio Investment and Policy Decision Making through an Integrated Building Utility Data Platform.” In Improving Energy Efficiency in Commercial Buildings & Smart Communities Conference, Mar. 2016.
- Alschuler, A., Antonoff, J., Brown, R., and Cheifetz, M. "Planting SEEDs: Implementation of a Common Platform for Building Performance Disclosure Program Data Management", In 2014 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, pp. 274–284. Pacific Grove, CA.
- SEED for Cities (1-page PDF)
- Why open source? (1-page PDF)