Over the last decade, national investments in advanced manufacturing and decarbonization have grown significantly. DOE is investing more than ever in a decarbonized and competitive industrial sector and a domestic clean energy manufacturing base. As a result, the strategic planning, RD&D, workforce development, and technical assistance activities under the Advanced Manufacturing Office (AMO) also expanded.
On October 9th, EERE’s manufacturing activities formerly will be organized within the Advanced Manufacturing and Materials Technologies Office (AMMTO) and the Industrial Efficiency & Decarbonization Office (IEDO). AMMTO will focus on accelerating innovation in the manufacturing sector and supporting a domestic clean energy technology manufacturing economy. IEDO will focus on reducing industrial greenhouse gas emissions and increasing industrial resource efficiency. Learn more about the restructure here.
What We Do
- Industrial Efficiency and Decarbonization Office
- IEDO supports innovation in technologies and practices to enable the industrial sector to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
- Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Technologies Office
- AMMTO develops and demonstrates advanced materials and manufacturing technologies to increase domestic competitiveness and build a clean, decarbonized economy. This includes work on clean energy technology manufacturing and sustainable and secure supply chains.
How We Do It
- R&D Projects
- AMO offers Research, Development, and Demonstration (RD&D) funding through Lab Calls, Prizes, and Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) to promote the decarbonization of industrial manufacturing and advance energy-related materials and manufacturing technologies.
- R&D Consortia
- AMO's consortia include institutes, hubs, and user facilities that further R&D goals in a defined technology focus area.
- Workforce Development & Technical Assistance
- The Technical Assistance and Workforce Development program area focuses on making knowledge and transformational tools accessible across manufacturing organizations and developing the future manufacturing workforce. Our goal is to train American workers in these new areas, especially in disadvantaged communities with high emissions, to create a skilled and inclusive manufacturing workforce.
- Cross-Office Programs
- AMO collaborates with other DOE offices to support emerging industrial decarbonization and advanced manufacturing technologies.
Receive new funding opportunity and selection announcements directly to your inbox.