Most of EERE's new investments directly support deployments or demonstrations of technologies that show viable pathways for achieving EERE’s five programmatic priorities:
- Decarbonizing the electricity sector.
- Decarbonizing transportation across all modes: air, sea, rail, and road.
- Decarbonizing the industrial sector.
- Reducing the carbon footprint of buildings.
- Decarbonizing the agriculture sector, specifically focused on the nexus between energy and water.
Learn more about EERE's mission.
EERE's research and development activities are organized among the following three pillars:
EERE leads a robust network of researchers and other partners to continually develop innovative, cost-effective energy-saving solutions, which helps make our country run better through increased efficiency—better plants, manufacturing processes, products, new homes, ways to improve older homes, and buildings in which to work, shop, and lead our everyday lives.
EERE manages a portfolio of electric vehicles, engine efficiency, and clean domestic fuels to open up cost-effective opportunities to reduce our oil dependence, avoid pollution, and create jobs designing and manufacturing better cars, trucks, and petroleum alternatives.