PPPO’s Safety and Health (S&H) program integrates safety and health requirements and controls into all work activities. S&H oversees implementation of Integrated Safety Management (ISM) within contractor activities to ensure protection of workers, the public, and the environment. PPPO promotes a working environment where each worker feels responsible for safety and health. Decision-making reflects safety as an overriding priority for all PPPO and contractor activities, and organizational learning is embraced.
- Ensure S&H performance within established policy is addressed by PPPO site contractors with clearly stated expectations and assigned organizational responsibilities.
- Ensure processes, practices, and procedures involving S&H activities by PPPO site contractors are generated and effectively addressed.
- Conduct direct independent program and project assessments/surveillances of site contractors that include S&H and nuclear facility safety basis programs and contractual requirements.
- Review, evaluate, and approve contractor S&H plans that support operations and activities conducted at the sites.
- Ensure site contractor Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS) Declarations are effectively and efficiently implemented according to PPPO, Environmental Management (EM), and overall DOE requirements.