The goals of the EAC are to:
- Advise on electricity policy issues pertaining to the Department of Energy.
- Review and make recommendations concerning DOE electricity programs and initiatives.
- Advise DOE on issues related to current and future capacity of the electricity system (generation, transmission and distribution, regionally and nationally).
- Advise on the coordination between DOE and state and regional officials and the private sector on matters affecting electricity supply, demand and reliability.
- Advise on the coordination between Federal, State and utility industry authorities required to cope with supply disruption or other emergencies related to electricity generation and distribution.