Welcome to the National Nuclear Security Administration’s National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Reading Room. This site serves as a focal point for NNSA NEPA implementation and will contain information about past and current NNSA NEPA actions as well as other resources for NEPA practitioners and members of the public.
- NNSA NEPA environmental assessments (EAs) and environmental impact statements (EISs).
- NNSA NEPA categorical exclusion (CX) determinations.
- Other NNSA environmental documents.
- NNSA NEPA policy (NAP 451.1, April 2018)
OPEN FOR PUBLIC COMMENT
Draft Environmental Assessment for the Kansas City National Security Campus Assessment of KCNExT DOE/EA-2225
NNSA is making a draft site-wide Environmental Assessment (EA) for the Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC) Assessment of KCNExT (DOE/EA-2225) available for public review and comment. NNSA conducts operations at the KCNSC Botts Campus located at 14510 Botts Road, Kansas City, MO, and a portion of the recently acquired KCNSC Building 23 facility located at 14901 Andrews Road, Kansas City, MO, to support the development and manufacture of non-nuclear components of nuclear weapons. The Draft EA will evaluate the effects on the human and natural environment of its proposed expansion of operations at the KCNSC Botts Campus and to provide the flexibility to expand, reconfigure and/or move select operations within the KCNSC, to include the KCNSC Botts Campus, Building 23, and additional facilities to incrementally expand its manufacturing capacity and office space necessary to sustain continued production growth required by National requirements. As proposed, NNSA is evaluating a multi-year, multi-phase project, to create a series of independent projects to acquire additional office and manufacturing space to accommodate expected long-term growth. The KCNSC KCNExT Draft EA is available for comment until Sept. 15, 2023.
Please submit written comments on the KCNSC KCNExT Draft EA by Sept. 15, 2023,
by email to: NEPA.Comments@kcnsc.doe.gov
by U.S. mail to:
U.S. Department of Energy
National Nuclear Security Administration
14520 Botts Road
Kansas City, MO 64147
Attention: KCFO NEPA Comments
Please include your name and mailing address or email address with your comments so a response to your comment can be sent to you.
CURRENT NEPA DOCUMENTS
Surplus Plutonium Disposition Program (SPDP) EIS NEPA documents
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Site-Wide Environmental Impact Statement (SWEIS) NEPA documents
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Site-Wide Environmental Impact Statement (SWEIS) NEPA documents
Sandia National Laboratory (Sandia) Site-Wide Environmental Impact Statement (SWEIS) NEPA documents
Plutonium Pit Production NEPA documents
- Environmental Assessment (EA) - A concise public document that a Federal agency prepares under NEPA to provide sufficient evidence and analysis to determine whether a proposed agency action would require preparation of an environmental impact statement or a finding of no significant impact.
- Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) - The detailed written statement that is required by section 102(2)(C) of NEPA for a proposed major Federal action significantly affecting the quality of the human environment.
- Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) - A public document issued by a Federal agency briefly presenting the reasons why an action for which the agency has prepared an environmental assessment will not have a significant effect on the human environment and, therefore, will not require preparation of an environmental impact statement.
- A Floodplain and Wetland Assessment is an evaluation that DOE prepares under DOE Floodplain and Wetland Environmental Review Requirements (10 CFR Part 1022) consisting of a description of a proposed action, a discussion of its potential effects on the floodplain or wetland, and consideration of alternatives. A Floodplain Statement of Findings is a brief document issued pursuant to 10 CFR 1022.14 that describes the results of the floodplain assessment.
- A Mitigation Action Plan is a document DOE prepares in accordance with DOE NEPA regulations (10 CFR 1021.331) that describes the plan for implementing commitments made in a DOE environmental impact statement and its associated record of decision, or, when appropriate, an EA or FONSI, to mitigate adverse environmental impacts associated with an action.
- Notice of Availability (NOA) is a formal notice, published in the Federal Register, that announces the issuance and public availability of a draft or final EIS. The Environmental Protection Agency NOA is the official public notification of an EIS; a DOE NOA is an optional notice used to provide information to the public.
- Notice of Intent (NOI) is a formal announcement of intent to prepare an EIS as defined in Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) NEPA regulations (40 CFR 1508.22). DOE publishes NOIs in the Federal Register in accordance with DOE NEPA regulations (10 CFR 1021.311). On rare occasions we may produce and issue an Advance NOI which means a formal public notice of DOE's intent to prepare an EIS, which is published in advance of an NOI in order to facilitate public involvement in the NEPA process.
- Programmatic NEPA document means a broad-scope EIS (PEIS) or EA that identifies and assesses the environmental impacts of a DOE program; it may also refer to an associated NEPA document, such as an NOI, ROD, or FONSI.
- A Record of Decision (ROD) is a concise public document that records a Federal agency's decision(s) concerning a proposed action for which the agency has prepared an environmental impact statement (See CEQ and DOE NEPA regulations at 40 CFR 1505.2 and 10 CFR 1021.315, respectively).
- Scoping means the process described at 40 CFR 1501.7; “public scoping process” refers to that portion of the scoping process where the public is invited to participate, as described at 40 CFR 1501.7 (a)(1) and (b)(4).
- Site-wide NEPA document means a broad-scope EIS (SWEIS) or EA that is programmatic in nature and identifies and assesses the individual and cumulative impacts of ongoing and reasonably foreseeable future actions at a DOE site; Site-wide may also refer to an associated NEPA document, such as an NOI, ROD, or FONSI.
- Supplement Analysis (SA) means a DOE document used to determine whether a supplemental EIS should be prepared pursuant to 40 CFR 1502.9(c), or to support a decision to prepare a new EIS.
- Supplemental EIS (SEIS) means an EIS prepared to supplement a prior EIS as provided at 40 CFR 1502.9(c).