The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) establishes the premise that people should have access to government information, and it is the responsibility of the government to justify why records should not be disclosed. NNSA's FOIA process is separate from the Department of Energy's (DOE).
Due to COVID-19, the NNSA Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) program staff are experiencing significant delays in receiving and processing FOIA requests. We ask that FOIA requesters continue to submit their requests to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions are still accepted, but responses will be delayed.
Please contact the NNSA FOIA program office at Kari.Martinez@nnsa.doe.gov if you have questions about FOIA requests.
How to Submit a FOIA Request
FOIA requests to the NNSA/Office of the General Counsel may be submitted in writing, by fax, by e-mail or by filling out this form.
You may contact the Office of the General Counsel regarding the FOIA program at the following address:
NNSA/Office of the General Counsel
P. O. Box 5400
Albuquerque, NM 87185-5400
You may also fax your FOIA request to (505) 284-7512 or e-mail it to FOIOfficer@nnsa.doe.gov
You can contact NNSA/Office of the General Counsel Staff toll free at 866-747-5994.
The NNSA/Office of the General Counsel is also responsible for processing all FOIA requests for the facilities listed below.
|National Nuclear Security Administration||Headquarters, Washington, D.C.|
|Kansas City Site Office|
Kansas City Plant/Kansas City National Security Campus, Kansas City, Missouri
|Livermore Site Office||Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, California|
|Los Alamos Site Office||Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico|
|Nevada Site Office||Nevada National Security Site|
|NNSA Production Office|
Pantex Plant, Amarillo, Texas
Y-12 National Security Complex, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
|Sandia Site Office|
Sandia National Laboratories/New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sandia National Laboratories/California, Livermore, California
|Savannah River Site Office||Savannah River, South Carolina|
|NNSA Albuquerque Complex||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
- Department of Energy (DOE) FOIA Page
- DOE Office of Hearings and Appeals. A searchable index of FOIA and Privacy Act appeals
- Department of Justice Office of Information and Privacy. Includes its Guide to the FOIA and more
- Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board. An independent federal agency established by Congress in 1988 to provide safety oversight of the nuclear weapons complex operated by the DOE.
- National Technical Information Service. A centralized source for the sale of scientific, technical, engineering, and related business information produced by or for the US government.
- Office of Scientific Technical Information Order technical reports. Collects scientific and technical information resources and provides access to national and global resources for use by the Department, the scientific research community, academia, U.S. industry, and the public to expand the knowledge base of science and technology
- Defense Technical Information Center. Provides access to and facilitates the exchange of Department of Defense scientific and technical information.
- Department of Energy Health Programs. Manages a program of research and public health activities designed to promote the health and safety of DOE workers and communities surrounding its sites.