You are here
David S. Brown is the Director of the Office of Administration, Office of Management at the U.S. Department of Energy. He is a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Executive leader providing all facilities related development, management and operations; industrial hygiene and safety, and emergency preparedness to support 7,000 Department of Energy headquarters professionals in Washington, DC and Germantown, MD.
Previously he served as Executive leader of the Department-wide strategy to attract, train, and retain a high-performing 2,000 member acquisition and project management workforce and equip them with the information technology tools to accomplish the agency's mission. This workforce oversees contracts and grants representing more than 95% of the agency’s $30B annual budget.
In 2011, he supported as an Executive Leader, the Senior Performance Advisor to the Associate Deputy Secretary. The ADS was the primary point of contact for: Chief Human Capital Officer; Chief information Officer; Economic Impact and Diversity; Management; Health, Safety and Security; and Hearings and Appeals. He had a broad range of leadership and management duties that supported the Secretary and Deputy Secretary in pursuit of Management and Operational Excellence. He drove improvements in mission execution and assured that actions were efficiently and effectively implemented throughout the Department resulting in annual cost avoidance/cost savings of $1B.
Naval Facilities Engineering Command 1984 – 2011 (27 years):
Before joining the Department of Energy, David served in various capacities as a civilian for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command culminating in his 2005 appointment as Business Director and Senior Civilian for Facilities Engineering Command Mid-Atlantic located in Norfolk, Virginia.
NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic provides oversight on Navy installations from North Carolina to Maine and annually executes over $2.5B in facilities planning, real estate, engineering design, construction, and public works and environmental services through its 3,750 person in-house workforce and extensive contract capabilities. Mr. Brown oversaw all business operations: including strategic planning, financial management, human resource management, employee development, business process management and improvement, and command administrative functions.
- He led development and implementation of the Command’s strategic and supporting operational plans and the governing and decision-making Boards.
- Delivered the command’s strategic plan, and ran the command’s governing and decision making boards, and ensured that the command’s corporate performance accomplished for all business lines.
- Oversaw the command’s financial operations, and the multi-year Planning, Programming Budget and Execution process for Working Capital Fund and General Fund and achieved all financial targets.
- Oversaw the command’s workforce staffing and diversity requirements and closed the vacancy rate from double digit to 3.5% by hiring 400 people one year and 380 the next.
- Led a major Command reorganization and restructuring that streamlined processes, revised reporting relationships, created new financial models, refined personnel practices, and added 1,200 new positions.
- Lead 3 Commercial Activity Competitions that affected over 1000 positions, won and saved $10's of millions of dollars over the life of the contract.
Mr. Brown was also class president of his 2002 MBA program, is a past president of an Association of Norfolk Area Independent Schools.
- 2012 DOE Secretary's Appreciation Award - 2011 Navy Superior Civilian Service Award - 1998 Navy Meritorious Civil Service Award
He is a registered Professional Engineer in Virginia, a Certified Energy Manager and was a member of the Defense Acquisition Corps.
- Harvard Senior Executive Fellows, Cambridge, MA
- MBA College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA,
- Certificate in Leadership, George Washington University, Washington, DC
- BS Engineering, LeTourneau University, Longview, TX