The team evaluates and incorporates the requirements for vehicle and fuel use, as deemed appropriate for LM operations and approved by LM, as defined in:
- Executive Order (EO) 13693, Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade
- Executive Order (EO) 13834, Efficient Federal Operations
- DOE Order 436.1, Departmental Sustainability
The team advocates natural resource sustainability by evaluating vehicle and fuel use.
The team evaluates vehicle and fuel-use goals, establishes metrics, and develops and implements a plan of action to meet all required goals, as identified by DOE.
Goals are achieved by acquiring low greenhouse gas emitting, alternative-fueled, hybrid, and plug-in vehicles, when they are available. These acquisitions directly impact reduction of overall petroleum consumption in fleet vehicles—while maintaining the smallest fleet possible—to accomplish LM’s ever-expanding mission.
Factors to be considered in attaining these goals include:
- New sites to be added into the LM system
- Alternative fuels availability
- Alternative-fuel-vehicle availability
- Balancing vehicle-type availability with the types of vehicles required to conduct LM work
Our mission requires fieldwork and support at sites that are remotely located and require low, 4-wheel-drive capability, which is becoming harder to obtain due to government fuel efficiency mandates, off-road-rated or trail-rated liability to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and stock availability from the OEM.
- Develop and implement a system to monitor and evaluate progress.
- Maintain/implement a vehicle and fuel use plan.
- Review data collection and implement an automated system to replace handwritten trip tickets.
- Continual analysis of vehicle data to identify areas of improvement for goal/target accomplishment.
- Provide information to increase employee awareness.
- Report status regularly.