The team oversees the energy efficiency, greenhouse gases (GHG), renewable energy, and clean energy sustainability requirements of federal regulations and executive orders. Foremost among these requirements are:
Executive Order (EO) 13834, Efficient Federal Operations, and
- DOE Order 436.1, Departmental Sustainability
The team communicates to affected groups the goals set out in these requirements and reports on performance in achieving those goals. The team promotes environmental sustainability through the:
- Integration of energy conservation measures into all phases of LM’s work.
- Implementation of renewable and clean energy projects.
- Purchase of green energy from utility providers.
Note: For the purpose of the regulations and this team, renewable energy only refers to renewable electric energy. Clean energy refers to both renewable electric energy and energy which replaces traditional thermal energy with alternative energy systems. An example is replacing a natural gas-fired water heating system with a solar water heating system.
Energy Efficiency and GHGs
- Work to reduce GHG emissions.
- Measure the energy intensity of LM buildings.
- Perform energy evaluations on major LM-owned buildings.
- Promote metering of energy use.
Renewable and Clean Energy
- Promote increased use of renewable and clean energy at LM sites.
- Evaluate opportunities to install new cost effective renewable and clean energy projects at LM sites.
- Evaluate the expanded use of utility-provided renewable energy programs such as purchasing green energy from utilities in order to meet goals.
With the signing of Executive Order (EO) 13834 Efficient Federal Operations, sustainability goals are being evaluated by the Department of Energy. Revised goals will be instituted. The Energy team will evaluate performance against those goals and will work to institute sustainability measures if goals are not being met.
Energy Efficiency and GHG Goals
- Reduce Scope 1 and 2.
- Reduce energy intensity (Btus per gross square foot).
- Conduct building energy evaluations every 4 years.
- Meter all individual buildings for electricity, natural gas, and steam where cost-effective and appropriate.
Renewable and Clean Energy Goals
- The Clean Energy goal is the percentage of an agency’s total electric and thermal energy accounted for by renewable and alternative energy.
- The Renewable Electric Energy goal is the percentage of total agency electric consumption accounted for by renewable electric energy.
- Maintain/implement a plan that integrates energy efficiency, GHG reduction, renewable energy, and clean energy goals into LM activities as feasible.
- Propose energy conservation, GHG reduction, renewable energy, and clean energy initiatives.
- Individually meter all LM buildings and see that larger energy loads are separately metered.
- Take steps to assure LM sites meet energy intensity baseline reductions.
- Communicate and promote energy efficiency, GHG reduction, renewable energy, and clean energy awareness through training and presentations for LM and contractor employees.
- Document the status of existing LM renewable energy projects.
- Evaluate LM sites for feasibility to host clean and renewable energy systems.
- Prioritize renewable energy target sites on the basis of completed LM energy baselines and existing LM renewable energy projects.
- Report performance metrics against goals.