Current full-time graduate and undergraduate students—who are familiar with Native American culture and tribal issues—are needed to support tribal energy projects. U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy-funded student interns assist a cross-disciplinary team to perform specific technical tasks in the field and at DOE’s Sandia National Laboratories. Learn about past interns.
Interns will work with Sandia's renewable energy staff, along with Native American tribes interested in tribal energy development. The internship program offers the opportunity for instant immersion in project planning and development activities working directly with experienced internationally recognized energy experts. The work may involve local travel, including field visits to tribal energy project sites.
Over the course of the internship, interns may:
- Work on existing tribal energy projects and gain exposure to issues concerning energy technology use and applications on tribal lands
- Interact with Sandia's program staff and American Indian tribes developing their local energy resources
- Conduct research and write a paper
- Travel locally for field visits to current tribal energy projects.
Current full-time graduate and undergraduate students with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 are eligible to apply. Applicants must be U.S. citizens with the ability to work up to 40 hours per week. Many factors are considered in the selection of an intern, including interests, academic achievement, and applicable experience, as well as Sandia's workforce needs. Applicants must pass a pre-employment security check (local and federal law enforcement, driver's history, personal references, and education, credit, and employment checks).
How To Apply
Note: In addition to seeking four full-time summer interns, DOE is accepting applications for one year-round internship opportunity beginning in summer 2022.
Apply to each open job posting you are interested in separately, following these steps:
- Use Sandia's Careers tool to create a new user account with a username and password
- Search for Indian internship – 'Photovoltaics & Materials Tech Technical Graduate'.
- Read the requirements of the job posting carefully
- Complete your online application.