The Grid Innovation Program provides $5 billion for FY 22-26 to support projects that use innovative approaches to transmission, storage, and distribution infrastructure to enhance grid resilience and reliability. Projects selected under this program will include interregional transmission projects, investments that accelerate interconnection of clean energy generation, and utilization of distribution grid assets to provide backup power and reduce transmission requirements. Innovative approaches can range from use of advanced technologies to innovative partnerships to the deployment of projects identified by innovative planning processes.
Eligible entities include:
- States (individual or combined)
- Tribes and Territories
- Local governments
- Public utility commissions
On November 18, 2022, GDO released a Funding Opportunity Announcement for the Grid Resilience and Innovation Partnerships (GRIP) Program, including the Grid Innovation Program. Concept papers are a required first step in the application process and are due January 13, 2023. A public webinar was held on November 29, 2022.
DOE encourages eligible entities to collaborate with electric sector owners and operators to deploy projects.
Visit the Grid and Transmission Program Conductor for additional information to help identify which financing program is most appropriate for individual projects.
The Grid Resilience and Innovation Partnerships (GRIP) Program is participating in the Clean Energy Innovator Fellowships, a unique workforce development program that matches recent graduates and new energy professionals to key energy organizations to support efforts to advance clean energy solutions.
Find materials including recordings, transcripts, and presentation slides from past informational webinars.
- GRIP Informational Webinar (November 29, 2022)
- Grid Resilience and Innovation Partnerships Program Applicant Informational Webinar (February 8, 2023)
- Grid Resilience and Innovation Partnerships (GRIP) Program Community Benefits Plan Training Webinar (February 27, 2023)
- GRIP Training for Secured by Design Considerations Webinar (February 28, 2023)
- GRIP Concept Paper Guidance (December 2022)
- GRIP Overview Fact Sheet (December 2022)
- Grid Innovation Program Fact Sheet (December 2022)
- GRIP Teaming Partner List (February 2023)