- DOE Selects Grand Prize Winners of the Fish Protection Prize and Announces Deadlines for Two Additional Hydropower Prizes
- Website: I Am Hydro Prize
The Innovations in Advanced Manufacturing for Hydropower (I AM Hydro Prize) was designed to:
- Catalyze the use of advanced manufacturing to drive down levelized costs of hydropower by seeking solutions that can dramatically lower initial capital costs and/or increase annual energy production
- Inform the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Water Power Technologies Office (WPTO) future investments by identifying targeted, high-impact opportunities to apply advances in manufacturing to address hydropower’s critical challenges, which may be used to inform future funding opportunities
- Bring new innovators into the hydropower sector and help form partnerships and collaborations between industry, academia, and government to accelerate innovative advanced manufacturing technologies for hydropower.
WPTO launched the I AM Hydro Prize to lower the costs of hydropower components and systems designs by leveraging advancements in manufacturing and material. I AM Hydro innovators competed for up to $175,000 in cash prizes and helped support the hydropower industry using the ingenuity of advanced manufacturing.
The prize was designed to spur innovation by engaging a national community of visionaries who are not typically associated with the hydropower industry and target levelized cost of energy reductions in hydropower design, manufacturing, and operation and maintenance.
- Hydropower Manufacturing Prize Winners Conceive Strategies To Lower Costs and Improve Performance of Hydropower Components
- Grand prize:
- Cadens, LLC, Utility of Large Area AM for Small Hydro.
- Innovator prizes:
- Skuld LLC, Additive Manufacturing Evaporative Casing
- AI-Driven Design Optimization of Turbines
- Interphase Materials, Anti-Fouling Coating for Hydropower Cost Reduction
- Fusion-Free Fabrication, Augmented Repair via Additive Manufacturing
- Composite Magnet for Hydropower Generators
- Ceramic Rust Universal Sealant Technology
- Multiscale Systems, Lowering Costs with Mechanical Metamaterials
- RCAM Technologies, Retrofitting of Non-Powered Dams Using 3-D Concrete Printing
- Mazdak International Inc, Semi-Solid Casting for Hydro-Turbines
- Super-frictionless Surfaces Quasi-R.