The Frontier Observatory for Research in Geothermal Energy (FORGE) initiative contains three phases. The first two phases focused on selecting a site and operations team.
FORGE SITE HISTORY
- Phase 1 (2015–2016)
- Five teams
- Teams performed analysis on the potential of their proposed site and developed plans for R&D and data collection in Phase 2. The awardees assessed all available site characterization data and compiled it into a geologic model of the proposed site.
- Learn more about the Phase 1 awardees, including teams, locations, data, and reports.
- Phase 2 (2016–2018)
- Two teams
- Teams fully instrumented, characterized, and permitted candidate sites for drilling and full-scale operations at FORGE for Phase 3 R&D.
- Learn more about the Phase 2 awardees, including teams, locations, data, and reports.
- Phase 3 (2018–present)
- One team: FORGE site in Milford, Utah.
- Prepare site for R&D projects, such as drilling full size wells.
- Implement R&D program, guided by a collaborative research strategy and executed via annual research and development solicitations.
- Partners from industry, academia, and the national laboratories will have ongoing opportunities to conduct research and development projects at the site.
UTAH FORGE – MILFORD, UTAH
Utah FORGE, led by the University of Utah – Energy & Geoscience Institute (EGI) in association with multiple partner organizations, is a dedicated laboratory for developing, testing, and accelerating breakthroughs in EGS technologies to advance the use of geothermal resources. Near Milford, Utah, in eastern Beaver County. The project area is rural, covering approximately 15 square miles, and is adjacent to a wind farm and solar PV plant.
UTAH FORGE RESOURCES
- Phase 1 Report, 2016: View the Utah FORGE team’s Phase 1 report.
- Phase 2 Report, 2018: Coming soon.
- Geothermal Data Repository: The Geothermal Data Repository (GDR) includes data from Utah FORGE, as well as all data collected from other researchers funded by GTO.
- Utah FORGE: Visit the Utah FORGE website for more information.
- Utah FORGE Publications: View a full list of publications on the Utah Forge site.
Visit the Other Awardees page for more information about the other Phase 1 and 2 awardees.