You are here
When uploading files to download pages in Energy.gov's content management system (CMS), follow these guidelines for naming files on Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) websites:
- File names should clearly describe the file's content.
- File names should not contain uppercase letters, spaces, or special characters (e.g., & or $), but may contain letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes.
- Use "link text" to give your PDFs descriptive names. Without link text your files will be listed by their file names. To edit a PDF's link text:
- Upload a PDF to a Download page OR click "Edit Media" if the file has already been uploaded.
- In the box labeled "Add or edit the link text," enter a descriptive file name.
This example shows how link text can be used:
The Energy Saver Guide's download page demonstrates how to write the link text. The link text for the first file is "Energy Saver Guide: Tips on Saving Money and Energy at Home (PDF)." This is displayed instead of the file name.