The U.S. Department of Energy has announced the colleges and universities selected to participate in Phase 1 of the 2023 Collegiate Wind Competition (CWC). The 2023 CWC final event is scheduled to take place in May 2023 in conjunction with American Clean Power Association’s CLEANPOWER 2023 Conference & Exhibition in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The CWC brings together students in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, as well as business, marketing, communications, policy, and social sciences, for the purpose of engaging the future workforce in wind energy. The competition is open to undergraduate students from institutions of higher education.
Who Can Participate
Teams can be comprised of undergraduate students from:
- A single four-year college or university in the United States
- A four-year college or university in the United States as the lead institution partnering with a two-year institution in the United States, such as a community college
- A four-year college or university in the United States as the lead institution partnering with an international institution, with both institutions being represented at the final CWC event. International teams will not be eligible to receive support funding from the U.S. Department of Energy or the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and must provide their own support.
Who Can Apply
- Applications can be submitted by one student, multiple students, and/or a faculty advisor.
- Teams do not have to be fully formed to submit an application. Faculty can still submit the application if students and team leads have not yet been identified, and students can submit if they have not yet identified a faculty advisor.
- In either case, in their application, students should describe how they intend to recruit their faculty advisor, and faculty should describe how they intend to recruit students.
Check out the competition timeline.
Interested in Getting Involved Now?
Here are a few things you can do to get started. You can:
- Review past competition Rules and Requirements and written reports.
- Conduct mock competitions at your institution based on CWC contests.
- Start assembling a team of faculty advisors and interested students.
- Begin garnering support through potential sponsors and advisors/coaches.
To be notified of any future opportunities to enroll in the competition, please contact the U.S. Department of Energy’s CWC manager, Alex Lemke.
For more information, see the CWC resources.
Stay informed about competition updates, news, and events.