This page contains the standards, protocols, and documents for seeking certification to the 2017 Superior Energy Performance® (SEP®) (SEP 2017) program. Organizations have the option of using SEP 2012 or SEP 2017 for initial certification or recertification. View the SEP Program Documents and Resources List for SEP 2012 and SEP 2017 (with version/revision dates).
The 2017 program streamlines and simplifies SEP program documents and requirements based on input from stakeholders using the program. AMO’s webinar on SEP 2017 describes the program updates in more detail.
Key updates include:
- Single, unified scoring system that combines the best features of the Energy Performance and Mature Energy Pathways
- Flexibility in setting facility baseline year to align with corporate or enterprise-wide approach for companies that are expanding SEP participation across multiple facilities
- Additional performance level, Bronze, which has a lower energy performance improvement requirement than Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels
- For recertification, a practical and flexible energy performance requirement that is sustainable over multiple certification cycles
SEP 2017 Standards, Protocols, and Documents
- ISO 50001: Specifies the requirements for an EnMS, including all aspects of procurement and use. Purchase ISO 50001:2011.
- ANSI/MSE 50021-2016: Specifies the SEP requirements beyond those of ISO 50001, such as performance criteria and additional requirements for the EnMS for SEP 2017. Purchase ANSI/MSE 50021-2016.
- SEP Certification Protocol 2016: Describes the purpose of the SEP 2017 program and defines the steps required for participation—from initial application through certification by an ANAB accredited Verification Body.
- SEP Measurement and Verification (M&V) Protocol 2017: Defines the procedures that will be used to measure and verify the energy performance requirements of SEP 2017. This protocol describes how energy performance is defined for SEP and how the energy performance improvement can be demonstrated for verification purposes. The Guidance for the SEP M&V Protocol clarifies and illustrates the use of the SEP M&V Protocol with examples, recommendations, and descriptions of applicability. Organizations pursuing certification to SEP 2017 will use the Automated Register of Implemented Actions to provide the necessary documentation for the bottom-up comparison.
- SEP Scorecard 2016: Defines the credits needed to become certified to SEP at the Gold and Platinum levels for SEP 2017. Organizations can also use the SEP Scorecard Calculator to easily calculate scorecard points earned.
- SEP Voluntary Cost/Benefit Form 2017 (optional): Sent to SEP Administrator by certified facility to share information on energy savings measures implemented to help build the business case for SEP. DOE maintains the confidentiality of proprietary energy and production related data that is submitted to the SEP program.
- System Assessment Standards: Presents the requirements for conducting assessments for compressed air, process heating, pumping, or steam systems: collecting and analyzing data and reporting and documenting findings. Guidance documents are also available. While use of these standards is not required, they can be valuable for finding ways to quickly achieve energy savings. Purchase a System Assessment Standard.
- ANSI/MSE 50028-2016 (for SEP Verification Bodies): Specifies the principles and requirements for bodies that undertake verification of energy performance and energy management systems. (This American national standard is based on the international ISO 17021 Conformity assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems.) Purchase ANSI/MSE 50028-2016.
- SEP Energy Performance Improvement Report 2017 (for SEP Verification Bodies): Sent to SEP Administrator by the SEP Verification Body within 30 days of the date a facility is certified to confirm the new certification or recertification and to provide basic certification details to SEP Administrator to recognize the facility’s achievement.