Notable accomplishments in FY 2013:
- Investments in energy transformation have resulted in
- testing of greenhouse gas storage,
- the first grid-connected offshore wind prototype,
- cost competitive advances in cellulosic ethanol,
- the first commercial geothermal system to deliver power to the electric grid,
- improved efficiency and cyber security for the electric grid,
- new appliance efficiency standards,
- the first full-scale nuclear reactor simulation.
- Basic research in the science field yielded several results, such as:
- the discovery of a powerful new microbe,
- major improvements to organic electronics,
- high-resolution molecular images,
- 3D printed batteries,
- improved efficiency in thermoelectric devices.
- National security accomplishments include the elimination of highly enriched uranium from several foreign countries, the removal of a radiological device from a university, and a new method for analyzing airborne radiological data.
- Investments in environmental management achieved great progress in remediation of contamination of several post Cold-War sites.
Note: To view the PDF in a Browser, try Chrome, Edge, or Firefox, as Internet Explorer has trouble opening large PDFs. Or, right-click on the PDF link, and select "Save target as . . ." to save the PDF to your desktop.