The U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is administered at the state and local level. To apply for weatherization assistance, contact your state weatherization agency.

Contact Your State Weatherization Administrator

To apply for WAP assistance, first identify your state weatherization administrator and reach out to them. You can find links to your state agency using the map below.

How Does the WAP Application Process Work?

The following steps outline how to apply for WAP services.

Icon of a clipboard.

One of the primary factors affecting eligibility is income. Under DOE guidelines, households at or below 200% of the poverty income guidelines are considered eligible for weatherization services or if they receive Supplemental Security Income or Aid to Families with Dependent Children. In addition, each state or territory may elect to use the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) criteria of 60% of state-median income.

WAP Grantees also give priority to the elderly, families with one or more members with a disability, families with children, high-energy users, or households with a high energy burden. Please use the map to visit your specific state, territory, or tribe and review the identified eligibility guidelines.

Icon of a web page with a magnifying glass.

The state, tribal, or territorial website may provide a list of the local organizations or providers that offer weatherization services under its "How to Apply" section. Some states offer an online application direct from their website, but most guide you to contact the local providers. This list is usually organized by county and provides an address, phone number, and/or website.

Icon of a paper and pencil.

Once you have identified your local weatherization provider, contact them to start the application process. Your local provider will require proof of income for the prior year, such as pay stubs or social security payments. For information on proof of income, please refer to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services' Poverty Income Guidelines and Definition of Income

Icon of a checkmark and paper.

After receiving your application and income information, your local weatherization provider will determine if you are income eligible to receive weatherization services. If you’re income eligible, then your name will be placed on a waitlist. Both homeowners and renters are eligible to apply. If you are a renter, the weatherization provider will work with you and your landlord to receive permission before weatherization work can begin.

Additional Information

Once your home is selected for weatherization services, your local WAP provider will schedule an energy auditor to visit your home. The energy audit is a computerized assessment of your home's energy use carried out by a professional energy auditor and includes an analysis of your energy bills, a blower-door (pressurized) test to determine the infiltration of outside air into your house, and an inspection of all energy equipment for potentially health and safety issues.

Once the energy audit analysis is complete, the energy auditor will provide you with a recommended scope of work of the most cost-effective energy conservation measures for your home. After reviewing your WAP-funded energy conservation upgrades, the energy auditor and/or a crew leader from the local WAP provider will meet with you to explain how the work crews and/or contractors will conduct the work and the timeline expected to complete the project.

Once the work is completed, a local WAP provider’s inspector will review the work to ensure everything was completed, meets the Standard Work Specifications, and all equipment is operating safely. Throughout the weatherization process, your health and safety are a priority.

The following federal programs provide grants to states and territories who fund local organizations to provide low-income families in need of assistance with utility costs, housing or emergency services.

This is Not an Exhaustive List. Please note this list only includes some of the most common energy assistance programs. Remember to check with your state and local government for energy assistance programs and resources.

  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides short-term assistance to eligible low-income families to help pay utility bills. This program is funded by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). 
  • Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) through HHS’s Office of Community Services, provides assistance to low-income households to restore water services, prevent disconnections or reduce rates.
  • Community Services Block Grants (CSBG) through HHS’s Office of Community Services, provide funds to states, territories, and tribes to administer to support services that alleviate the causes and conditions of poverty in under resourced communities.  Community Action Agencies (CAAs), along with tribes and territories, provide CSBG funded services that target housing, utilities, employment and other income and asset building services. Contact your local CAA or CSBG Tribal Grantee for more information about the services available in your community.
  • Single Family Housing Repair Loans & Grants through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides loans to very low-income rural homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes. This program also offers grants to elderly very low-income homeowners to remove health or safety hazards.
  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)’s Public Housing programs provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income persons or families.
  • Federal Energy Management Agency (FEMA) provides a number of services to assist individuals who are victims of a natural disaster. These services include low-interest loans, some cash grants, and links to assistance from other agencies, such as the Internal Revenue Service and Farm Service Agency. For additional assistance, check with state and local emergency management organizations, as well.