Office: Carbon Management
FOA number: DE-FOA-0002894
Download the full RFI: FedConnect
On December 1, 2022, the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Fossil Energy and Carbon Management (FECM) released a request for information (RFI) to solicit feedback on various aspects of carbon dioxide (CO2) transportation infrastructure capacity increases in order for FECM to implement Future Growth Grants. The CIFIA Future Growth Grants will support the development of regional and national CO2transport infrastructure to accelerate the deployment and development of carbon capture and storage projects.
DOE is seeking input to support expansion of CO2 transport systems that increase flow rate or capacity to meet future increases in demand for CO2 transportation. Large-scale transportation infrastructure capable of transporting increased CO2 could enable development of future carbon capture and direct air capture projects without having to build additional new transport infrastructure to accommodate that growth, thus achieving long-term economies of scale for all future CO2 suppliers and a reduced overall infrastructure footprint.
This is a request for information only and DOE is not accepting applications at this time. DOE may use information collected from this RFI for internal planning and decision-making purposes.
Areas of Interest
This request for information has four (4) areas of interest:
- Factors that stakeholders are modeling and/or planning for related to CO2 transportation infrastructure capacity increases.
- Available geographical information for existing or planned CO2 transportation infrastructure with planned capacity increase.
- Environmental and community considerations for proposed capacity increase funded by Future Growth Grants.
- Technical, regulatory, and permitting considerations for potential capacity increase funded by Future Growth Grants, such as electricity, permitting needs, and requirements for siting construction and operation of any proposed CO2 pipeline or transport system.
DOE is interested in responses from industry members, investors, developers, academia, research laboratories, government agencies, and other stakeholders.
|RFI Issue Date:
|RFI Reponses Due:
|1/17/2023 at 5:00 PM ET
- Download the request for information on FedConnect.
- Responses must be submitted as an email attachment to FutureGrowthRFI@netl.doe.gov with the subject line “DE-FOA-0002894-RFI”.
Sign up to get notified of new FECM funding opportunities and to stay current with our latest news.
Last Updated: December 1, 2022