(Direct Report to the Deputy Director for Security)
The Office of Headquarters Security Operations strengthens national security by protecting personnel, facilities, property, classified information, and sensitive unclassified information for DOE Headquarters facilities in the National Capital Area under normal and abnormal (i.e., emergency) conditions, managing access authorization functions for Headquarters, ensuring that DOE Headquarters employees and visitors are fully protected, and supporting efforts to ensure the continuity of government in all circumstances as mandated by Presidential Decision Directive.
- Provides support, assistance and advice to the Director, Office of Environment, Health, Safety and Security regarding security operations, particularly as they relate to those programs under the purview of EHSS.
- Directs Headquarters security response activities in support of the Headquarters Occupant Emergency Plan. Provides management oversight and direction to the Headquarters security inquiry and investigations program.
- Conducts biennial reviews of vulnerability assessments at Forrestal and Germantown facilities to determine needed security upgrades, establish priorities for funding, program emphasis, and reallocation of personnel as required.
- Represents DOE at Interagency-level conferences and committees as it pertains to Headquarters security related issues.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with intelligence offices to facilitate coordinating the overall continuity activities relating to security.
- Manages the Headquarters Security Officer (HSO) Program ensuring that Headquarters Security programs are effective and dynamic to meet Headquarters operational needs.
- Provides direct security support to the Office of the Secretary and Deputy Secretary, and the direct Offices of the Under Secretary for Science and Innovation and the Under Secretary for Infrastructure, serving as their HSO.
- a Performance Assurance Program for DOE Headquarters security operations.
- Administers the Foreign Ownership, Control or Influence (FOCI) program for Headquarters as directed by 48 CFR Chapter 9, Department of Energy Acquisition Regulation.
- Administers the Security Education and Awareness Program for Headquarters.
- Administers the Headquarters Incidents of Security Concern Program as mandated by DOE Order 470.4B. Serves as liaison with Federal and local law enforcement agencies on regional security issues affecting DOE Headquarters facilities.
- Assess and assist Program Elements in the implementation of the security requirements contained in the Headquarters Facilities Master Security Plan (HQFMSP).
- Identify and evaluate available and emerging security protection technology that can be incorporated into Departmental operations.