NGLS Outdoor Parking Lot Systems Evaluations are scheduled for installation on individual parking lots at the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center (adjacent to the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, VTTI) in the summer of 2019.
Systems must provide the following minimum functions.
Presence Detection Based Control. See specific performance criteria below.
User-defined Schedule-based Control (astronomical and time of day)
Power and Energy Monitoring
Control Implemented via Easily Interchangeable Control Node
Monitoring of Individual Luminaire Electrical Performance
Remote Accessibility for Configuration, Monitoring and Control
Alarms/Notifications. See specific performance criteria below.
Either fixture-integrated or Pole Mounted Sensor Mounting Options
Systems will be evaluated on the ability to meet the presence detection performance, control node performance, and lighting performance criteria.
- Using existing infrastructure for mounting presence sensors, detect presence over the largest possible parking lot footprint under the following circumstances:
- Detect a walking pedestrian within the parking lot boundary and switch lights from low to high.
- Detect a moving vehicle (both electric vehicle and internal combustion engine vehicle) within the parking lot boundary and switch lights from low to high.
- Detect a person exiting a stationary car parked within the parking lot boundary and switch lights from low to high.
- Provide user adjustable presence detection time out setting from 4 minutes to 30 minutes.
- Provide immediate (within 1 second) luminaire response upon presence detection.
- Provide user adjustable continuous output settings from 10% to 100% of maximum light output.
- Limit maximum control node standby power to 2 watts.
- On loss of communication to control node, provide user configurable option for control node to continue to operate the luminaire according to one or more of the following: a) default schedule, b) photocell, c) always-on.
- Provide the following alarms/notifications: a) electrical fault, b) communication fault, c) energy performance out of bounds.
Minimum efficacy (lm/W)
Maximum CCT (K)
U0, G2 or lower preferred
Light Loss Factor
0.88 * lumen maintenance (LLD) at 25,000 hours
Maintained minimum horizontal illuminance
Maintained minimum vertical illuminance
REPRESENTATIVE PARKING LOT
A representative parking lot (shown below) provides typical mounting heights and site geometry. Upon acceptance into the NGLS Evaluation, individual parking lots are assigned to entrants and specific site geometry and drawings are provided.
Pole Height: 30 ft
1 luminaire per pole
Parking Space Width: 9 ft
Drive Lane Width: 24 ft
Poles shown in yellow on drawing.
Representative lot, not to scale