-- This project is inactive --
PPG, under the CSP R&D FOA, is aiming to develop and commercialize large-area second-surface glass mirrors that are superior in value, cost, and performance, to existing mirrors on the market today.
This project aims to develop a design and fabrication process for a mirror having:
- A high solar weighted specular reflectance
- Minimal optical performance degradation over the service lifetime
- A cost to the concentrating solar power (CSP) systems builder less than that of the current market price.
The glass and coating developed under this award has gone through a few production runs for commercial purposes. In terms of lowering cost or improving performance, this award may have only minor impact; however, it may prove beneficial from a domestic manufacturing perspective.
This project has the added environmental benefits of a lead-free encapsulant and no wet-silver process wastes. Production of a mirror with the proposed specifications requires that this project deliver:
- A high transmission glass for the superstrate
- Optical functional layers that deliver the performance required, an inorganic coating that protects the functional layers from chemical attack
- An organic coating that protects the functional layers from mechanical attack
- A cost-effective fabrication process.