Funding: Approximately $30 million
Open Date: November 18, 2016
Close Date: February 21, 2017 (Full Application) – Please note that Concept Papers are due on 12/20/16 and are required in order to submit a Full Application
Funding Organization: Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) Fuel Cell Technologies Office
Funding Number: DE-FOA-0001647
The Fuel Cell Technologies Office has issued funding opportunity announcement (FOA) DE-FOA-0001647 for the research and development of low-cost hydrogen production, onboard hydrogen storage, and proton exchange membrane fuel cells to advance the widespread commercialization of fuel cell electric vehicles. Selected projects will leverage national lab consortia launched under DOE's Energy Materials Network (EMN) this past year, in support of DOE's materials research and advanced manufacturing priorities.
Applicants to this funding opportunity announcement (FOA) will collaborate with national lab consortia launched within the EMN. The EMN consortia have been established to make unique, world-class capabilities at the national laboratories more accessible to industry, facilitating collaborations that will expedite the development and manufacturing of advanced materials for commercial markets.
- Topic 1: PGM-free Catalyst and Electrode R&D – this topic will leverage the Electrocatalysis Consortium (ElectroCat) to accelerate the development of catalysts made without platinum group metals (PGM-free) for use in fuel cells for transportation.
- Topic 2: Advanced Water Splitting Materials – this topic will leverage the HydroGEN Consortium to accelerate the development of advanced water splitting materials for hydrogen production, with an initial focus on advanced electrolytic, photoelectrochemical, and solar thermochemical pathways.
- Topic 3: Hydrogen Storage Materials Discovery – this topic will leverage the Hydrogen Materials—Advanced Research Consortium (HyMARC) to address unsolved scientific challenges in the development of viable solid-state materials for hydrogen storage onboard fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs).
- Topic 4: Precursor Development for Low-Cost, High-Strength Carbon Fiber for Use in Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessel Applications – this topic will aim to reduce the cost of onboard hydrogen storage necessary for FCEVs. Applicants for this topic will be encouraged to collaborate with LightMAT, a consortium launched by the DOE Vehicle Technologies Office to enable light-weighting of vehicles through the development of high-strength steels and carbon fiber.
- Concept Paper Submission Deadline: December 20, 2016, 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Full Application Submission Deadline: February 21, 2017, 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time (Please note that Concept Papers are due on 12/20/16 and are required in order to submit a Full Application)
For more information, see the full solicitation.