The Department of Energy’s Student Volunteer Internship program provides participants exposure to the work of various Offices or elements across the Department. The program allows high school (must be a junior and 16+ years of age) and college students to be part of a cooperative learning environment across the Department. The Department will host students throughout the school year based on the needs of our organizations.
You are eligible to participate as a Student Volunteer if you are enrolled, at least half-time, in:
- An accredited high school or trade school;
- A technical or vocational school;
- A junior or community college;
- A four-year college or university; or
- Any other accredited educational institution.
Student volunteer work may be performed during the school year and/or during summer or school vacation periods. The nature of your volunteer assignment, as well as your weekly work schedule, should be part of your work agreement. Volunteer work assignments typically have a duration of 3-4 months.
Interested in volunteering at DOE?
If you are interested in becoming a student volunteer with the Department of Energy:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org; include your area of interest
- If opportunities are available, you will be required to submit your transcripts/letter of enrollment verification and resume
- All students must watch applicable security videos for their volunteer locations, which will be provided if there is a match