The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) encourages agencies and organizations to improve data center energy efficiency. To help them construct and maintain energy-efficient data centers, FEMP provides a variety of publications, tools, and training opportunities.
Read about FEMP's data center energy efficiency activities and resources.
Center of Expertise
The Center of Expertise (COE) for Energy Efficiency in Data Centers demonstrates national leadership in decreasing data center energy use. COE partners with key public and private stakeholders and supplies know-how, tools, best practices, analyses, and technology information to help agencies implement data center policies and projects.
- Data Center Metering and Resource Guide
- Data Center Master List of Efficiency Actions
- Data Center Profiler (DC Pro) Tools
- Data Center Energy Practitioner Training
Search the COE for additional resources on data center efficiency.
Better Buildings Challenge and Accelerator
Data centers offer a tremendous opportunity for energy and cost savings. Data center energy consumption can be reduced by 20% to 40% by applying best management energy-efficiency measures and strategies. FEMP invites federal and private-sector data center operators to join the Better Buildings Challenge to showcase their solutions and share progress made toward greater energy efficiency. Partners will receive technical assistance, opportunities to network with like-minded leaders, and recognition from the U.S. Department of Energy. There are two ways to participate:
- Better Buildings Challenge: Organizations participating in the Better Buildings Challenge commit to improving building and industrial efficiency by 20% or more over 10 years.
- Data Center Accelerator: Organizations participating in the Data Center Accelerator commit to reducing the infrastructure energy intensity of one or more of their data centers by 25% over a period of five years.
Data Center Documents
- Best Practices Guide for Energy-Efficient Data Center Design
- Energy Efficiency Opportunities in Federal High-Performance Computing Data Centers
- General Recommendations for a Federal Data Center Energy Management Dashboard Display
- High-Performance Computing Data Center Metering Protocol
- NSIDC Data Center: Energy Reduction Strategies
- Retro-Commissioning Increases Data Center Efficiency at Low Cost