This website contains the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Approved Software List which lists software that may be used to verify compliance with the energy efficiency requirements for the tax credit under section 45L of the Internal Revenue Code (§ 45L).
This website also specifies the information required to be submitted by software providers to the DOE and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for DOE review and consideration for the DOE Approved Software List. DOE will review submitted software and update the DOE Approved Software List in coordination with the IRS.
DOE Approved Software List
The software appearing on this list are approved to calculate whether a home acquired (by sale or lease) meets the energy efficiency requirements for the § 45L tax credit. Additional information regarding compliance with the requirements for a § 45L tax credit can be found at the DOE website at: https://www.energy.gov/savings/energy-efficient-new-homes-tax-credit-home-builders
Note: Software previously approved at the state level have been removed from the DOE Approved Software List. While states may determine which entities are eligible to certify the tax credit, they may not approve which software can be used to meet the energy efficiency requirements of the 45L tax credit. Software listed here are the only ones approved by DOE for determining whether a home meets the energy efficiency requirements of the 45L tax credit.
DOE-Approved Software Packages
Ekotrope RATER Version 2.2
77 Summer Street
Boston, MA 02110
Phone: (617) 453-8043
Fax: (617) 401-3645
Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
EnergyGauge® USA Version 5.1
EnergyGauge® USA Version 6.0
Florida Solar Energy Center
1679 Clearlake Road
Cocoa, FL 32922-5703
Phone: (321) 638-1404
Fax: (407) 638-1010
Email contact: Robin@fsec.ucf.edu
REM/Rate v15.4 (and subsequent releases of v15.4.x)
REM/Rate v15.6 (and subsequent releases of v15.6.x)
REM/Rate v15.7 (and subsequent releases of v15.7.x)
2540 Frontier Avenue
Boulder, CO 80301
Phone: (303) 459-7504
Email contact: email@example.com
Note: To support the IRS in its oversight of the 45L tax credit, DOE has compiled a historical record of software approved by RESNET or DOE for use in certifying homes to the 45L tax credit over the history of the 45L tax credit. This list is offered for reference purposes only. The only current DOE-approved software for 45L compliance is listed above. View the historical record of software.
Submission Instructions to be Considered for the DOE Approved Software List
A software program will be considered for inclusion on the DOE Approved Software List if the software developer submits to DOE and the IRS the following information:
- The company name, program contact and corresponding email address, mailing address, telephone number, and website address of the software developer.
- The name, version number, or other identifier of the software program as it will appear on the list, and its release date.
- Access to the software program, made available to DOE by means of either a link to a downloadable copy of the software or online access instructions and credentials. This information should be emailed to DOE at the email address noted below. A copy of the software program must also be provided to the IRS on a zip drive at the mailing address provided below.
- The software program’s test results and test runs (input decks) for the tests identified in RESNET Publication No. 001-16 (May 16, 2016) as compared to the relevant acceptance criteria. (Note that DOE has updated this requirement since RESNET 001-16 superseded RESNET No. 13-001.) Test results should be presented using the 4 templates available at http://www.resnet.us/professional/programs/taxcredit_software_application or a comparable format showing test results versus allowable values.
- A signed declaration by the developer of the software program, made under penalties of perjury, that the software program:
a. Has satisfied all tests required to conform to the software accreditation process prescribed in RESNET Publication No. 001-16 (May 16, 2016); or
b. Has satisfied all tests necessary to permit a determination that the software program is sufficiently accurate to justify its use in calculating energy consumption for purposes of providing a certification for the § 45L tax credit.
Submissions to DOE under this section must be addressed as follows:
- Email Address: 45Lsoftware@ee.doe.gov
- Email Subject: 45L Software Submission
Submissions to IRS must be submitted in hard copy and mailed to:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Program Administrator
CC:PSI:6, Room 5114
P.O. Box 7604
Ben Franklin Station
Washington, DC 20044
DOE will review the materials submitted by software developers and evaluate them relative to the verification tests established in RESNET Publication No. 001-16. Software programs determined by DOE to have acceptable verification test results will be included on the DOE Approved Software List.
DOE may make available for public review any information submitted to it as part of the software submission package described here.