Climate change is intensifying and ravaging our communities and our planet. Now, more than ever, it’s time for a bold investment in America to put millions of people to work, lay the foundation for economic growth, heal our planet for future generations.
That’s what President Biden’s American Jobs Plan is all about — building an economy that works for working families and confronting the climate crisis at the same time.
It will make major investments in our planet and our people — starting with the trillions of dollars that our roads, bridges, ports, airports, and more so desperately need for maintenance and repairs.
Beyond playing catch-up on a backlog of deferred maintenance, the American Jobs Plan takes an ambitious approach to increasing clean energy capacity, deploying technology we already have while researching and developing cutting-edge solutions. Once passed, this plan will rebuild the country’s infrastructure, creating millions of jobs while making us more resilient to the impacts of climate change.
- It will modernize our electricity grid, adding clean electricity capacity while securing our power system from hackers, foreign actors, and natural disasters.
- It will put union building-trade workers on the job retrofitting buildings. More Americans will have access to funds for weatherization projects thanks to an expansion of DOE’s Weatherization Assistance Program, which will help families save money.
- It will invest in clean energy research and development (R&D) allocating $180 billion for next-generation energy solutions and demonstration projects showing us how to cut emissions from carbon-intensive industrial plants.
- It will revitalize American manufacturing, so that we can build clean energy technologies right here at home, with American labor, and make sure that American products dominate the global market.
- And it leaves no American behind. We’ll make sure to direct 40% of the overall benefits of these investments to underserved and disadvantaged communities so they have a place in our cleaner, greener future.
We know the consequences of inaction in the face of climate change. But think about the positives these investments can unlock. Think of the money families will save thanks to homes that are more efficient and more capable of withstanding hotter summers and colder winters. Think of the businesses entrepreneurs can start to help every pocket of the country meet its sustainability needs. Think of the millions of Americans who will get the chance to rise into the middle class thanks to a good-paying union job in clean energy.
A new era of shared prosperity is possible. But we need the American Jobs Plan to reach it. Copy and paste the messages below to social media to help us spread the word.
- The #AmericanJobsPlan will deliver at the speed the climate crisis demands and the scale we need to make a difference. Read the Department of Energy’s blog with the details: https://bit.ly/3szMDYN
- What's the link between the #AmericanJobsPlan and the climate crisis? Glad you asked. https://bit.ly/3szMDYN (HINT: Jobs, jobs, jobs)