Congratulations to Fred Streitz, AITO Senior Advisor, for being selected to serve on the National AI Research Resource Task Force. The National Artificial Intelligence Initiative (NAII) Act of 2020 called for the National Science Foundation (NSF), in coordination with the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), to form a National AI Research Resource (NAIRR) Task Force to develop a road map for expanding access to critical resources and educational tools that will spur AI innovation and economic prosperity nationwide.
The NAIRR Task Force, composed of leading AI experts from academia, government, and the private sector, is charged with submitting a report to Congress that includes topics such as as the appropriate ownership and administration of the NAIRR; a model for governance; required capabilities of the resource; opportunities to better disseminate high-quality government datasets; requirements for security; assessments of privacy, civil rights, and civil liberties requirements; and a plan for sustaining the resource, including through public-private partnerships.
The full list of NAIRR members includes:
- Lynne Parker (co-chair), Director of the National AI Initiative Office and Deputy U.S. Chief Technology Officer
- Erwin Gianchandani (co-chair), Senior Advisor for Translation, Innovation, and Partnerships, National Science Foundation
- Daniela Braga, Founder & CEO of DefinedCrowd
- Mark E. Dean, Ph.D.
- Oren Etzioni, CEO, Allen Institute for AI
- Julia Lane, Professor, New York University; CEO, the Coleridge Initiative
- Fei-Fei Li, Sequoia Professor of Computer Science at Stanford University and Denning Co-Director of the Stanford Institute for Human-Centered AI (HAI)
- Andrew Moore, VP & General Manager, Google Cloud AI & Industry Solutions
- Michael L. Norman, Distinguished Professor, University of California, San Diego
- Dan Stanzione, Executive Director, Texas Advanced Computing Center/Associate Vice President for Research, The University of Texas at Austin
- Frederick H. Streitz, Chief Science Advisor, Artificial Intelligence and Technology Office, U.S. Department of Energy
- Elham Tabassi, Chief of Staff, Information Technology Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology