You are here


The Office of Travel Management serves as the Department's POC for the following services:

For questions about Travel Services or the Travel Management Center, see the Contact Us, Travel Services Section

Travel Management Center (TMC)

The Office of the Chief Financial Officer oversees the Travel Management Center (TMC).

The Reservation Center phone number is 1-888-205-2369 (same number for emergency after-hours).

In addition, travel arrangements can be made via e:mail at A transaction fee is charged for each ticket issued.

Official Travel, Domestic and Foreign

Official travel is any travel by a federal or contract employee who is conducting U.S. government business for authorized and official purposes. DOE federal travelers approved to travel for official purposes must make travel reservations through the Department of Energy E-Gov Travel Service (eTS).

ADTRAV Travel Management is one of the Department of Energy’s Travel Management Centers, providing a full range of travel agent services including, but not limited to, arranging and booking official travel for individuals and groups; making travel related reservations; providing customer service; reconciling central billed accounts; and providing travel related reports and information to management.  

All travel for DOE requires prior travel authorization and approval in the eTS at:

Official Foreign Travel

Official foreign travel is defined as approved travel (whether wholly or partly on official business) from the United States (including Alaska, Hawaii, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands, and the territories and possessions of the United States) to a foreign country and return or travel between foreign countries by persons, including foreign nationals, or persons whose salaries or travel expenses or both will ultimately be funded in whole or in part by  DOE/NNSA from its appropriations.  Official foreign travel may also include travel funded by non-DOE or non-NNSA sources for which the traveler represents the Department or NNSA or conducts business on behalf of the U.S. Government.

The Department of State offers a free Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.  Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency.

STEP is available at:
Travel Alerts and Warnings are available at:

Foreign Travel Management System (FTMS)

The Foreign Travel Management System (FTMS) is a DOE-wide centralized system for recording, tracking, and securing approvals of all foreign travel conducted by DOE Federal employees and contractors. In order for DOE Federal employees and contractors to conduct international travel, the trip request must be entered and approved in FTMS.  Prior to final approval within FTMS, country clearance must be obtained from the respective country(ies) to be visited.  The system is located at:

Processing Foreign Travel at DOE includes the following requirements:

  1. Approved Travel Authorization in the electronic Travel System (eTS)
  2. A completed trip request in FTMS
  3. Country Clearance Approval
  4. Valid Official or Diplomatic Passport
  5. Appropriate and valid Visa(s)
  6. Review of required immunizations 
  7. Letter of Invitation (LOI) - when required

Official Travel Regulations and Guidelines

U.S. Passports and Visa Services (Official and Diplomatic)

The Office of Travel Management (MA-45) provides a variety of services, which facilitate DOE’s international travel for official or diplomatic purposes.  The Department of Energy is an authorized Passport Agency, and as such, processes No-Fee Official and Diplomatic Passport and Visa applications or related documents for government and contractor employees, who have been approved for official international travel. 

The Passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer.  A valid U.S. Passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Effective January 23, 2007, U.S. citizens traveling by AIR between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda will be required to present a valid US passport, Air NEXUS card or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner document. U.S. Passports are issued by the Department of State.

Beginning June 1, 2009, it was established that travelers entering the U.S. through a land or sea border must present a passport or Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. For more information on the WHTI, click here.

It is strongly recommended that all citizens of both Canada and the United States carry passports when crossing the U.S./Canada border. All persons, whether U.S. Citizens or foreign nationals, must present a valid passport or alternate approved travel document to enter or depart from the United States by air. Additional information is available at the following websites:

Official and Diplomatic Passports are the property of the U.S. Government and are authorized for Official Use Only.  An Official Passport is issued to an official or employee of the U.S. Government proceeding abroad in the discharge of official duties.  Where appropriate, dependents of such persons may be issued official passports. (22 Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 1 51.3 (b)) A Diplomatic Passport is issued to a Foreign Service Officer, a person in the diplomatic service or to a person having diplomatic status either because of the nature of his or her foreign mission or by reason of the office he or she holds.  Where appropriate, dependents of such persons may be issued diplomatic passports. (22 Code of Federal Regulations Chapter 1 51.3 (b) and (c)

U.S. Passport Applications can now be completed online, in an encrypted environment; however, the completed form must be printed and submitted with an original signature, to the Passports and Visas Unit of MA-45. Typically, advance timing of 12-15 business days is requested for DOE to complete passport processing and to obtain a passport. The requirements for official passports include:

  • the passport application,
  • two photos,
  • Proof of birth (passport, expired passport, or birth certificate),
  • Cover Letter on the letterhead of the sponsoring government agency which provides information relative to the traveler’s grade, title, and pending trip.

Passport Applications and related Forms can be obtained from the U.S. Department of State web-site:

The Visa is a stamp placed in the passport, issued by the foreign consular officials at the Embassy of the foreign country which indicates that country’s approval of your visit and granting permission for you to enter that country for a specific time duration. Most countries require that a Passport be valid for at least six months beyond the dates of travel before a visa can be issued.

Visa requirements for official travel differ from the visa requirements for personal and private industry travel.  Processing times for visas are dictated by the various embassies.  When planning official travel, employees are reminded to allow sufficient time for the passport and/or visa application(s) to be processed and returned to DOE. 

Important Notes:

  • Original signatures are required for each Visa Application.
  • Some foreign embassies will not issue a visa in Official or Diplomatic Passports without a letter from the Department of State.
  • For purposes of official travel for DOE all officials are required to use a diplomatic or official  passport for a number of reasons:
  1. A diplomatic or officials visa cannot be stamped into a tourist passport.
  2. A visa will not be granted for entry into a foreign country when the reason for travel to that country is stated as official business and the tourist passport is presented.
  3. Some countries will deny entry at the border to individuals entering the country on official government business when they arrive with only a tourist passport and not the official passport.  Further problems may also occur upon departure from that country.
  4. Violation of Sovereignty.  Use of the tourist passport when traveling in an official capacity misrepresents the true purpose for which the traveler has entered the country.  This can have serious and adverse on the U.S. reciprocal relations with foreign countries.
  5. Security concerns. Should there be a problem which in the host country, the official passport provides quicker access to officials of the host country government and greater protection.

Non-Refundable Airfare Guidance

  • Travelers need to be 99.9% certain of itinerary.
  • The closer to departure date, the higher the price of a non-refundable ticket.
  • Non-refundable airfares should be ticketed within 24 hours of booking; however, this does not guarantee the airfare will be available.  Carrier tariff’s change frequently throughout a 24-hour period and are never guaranteed until ticketed.
  • All non-refundable tickets should be purchased on the CBA.

The employee and approving official are to be fully aware of all of the terms and conditions of the ticket.

The program office and approving official are responsible for ensuring that the ticket is reused for official business on a future trip and is not used by the employee for personal use in the unanticipated event that the ticket is not used for the planned trip.


  • Non-refundable seats are NOT upgradable.
  • Non-refundable seat map very limited, seats may not be desirable by the traveler.


Travel authorization must provide a justification for use of the non-contract.


Non-refundable is exactly that – if a traveler does not travel, or does not use all tickets, DOE will not receive a refund as such when using a contract fare.

Fully unused ticket – value of the ticket available usually 1 year from date of ticket issuance (not date of travel).  Some conditions vary.  Penalties and fees apply when fully unused ticket applied

Outbound used, return unused – partial used tickets have NO value for future travel.

Only fully unused tickets will receive a credit, credits are not transferrable and only valid for one year from date of ticket issuance not dates of travel.

If the outbound is not taken, the return can never be used on a non-refundable ticket.  The carrier will negate the value of the ticket and show the reservation as “no-show.” 

Reservations must be cancelled or value of ticket is lost this applies to outbound and return segments.  If you are late for your outbound flight, the carrier will indicate traveler as a “no show.”

If a traveler leaves the Department before using the credit, cost for the unused return is lost.

For further information follow this link for the FAQs on non-refundable tickets.

International Insurance for DOE Officials (MEDEX)

The Department of Energy provides insurance for DOE employees on official overseas travel, with MEDEX, a world-wide Travel Assistance & Travel Insurance company.  The Office of Travel Management manages the MEDEX accounts for the Office of the Secretary, Deputy Secretary, and Under Secretary of Energy.  In addition, MA-45 provides information to DOE Program Offices regarding travel insurance services. The MEDEX plan includes the following coverage:

  • Travel Insurance for International Travelers and Medical Coverage
  • International Emergency Assistance
  • 24 hour multilingual emergency medical and security assistance
  • Evacuation and repatriation programs
  • Customized global travel solutions, pre-travel advice and contingency planning

Click here to go to the Travel FAQs

Last updated 05/13/15