November 17, 2005
Management of the Department's Isotope Program
Dating back to the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, the Development Isotopes Department of Energy's (Department) predecessor agency, the Atomic Energy Commission, was authorized to distribute stable and radioactive isotopes at no charge to assist and encourage research on peaceful uses of isotopes involving medical therapy. More recently, the 1990 Energy and Water Appropriations Act consolidated all isotope production and distribution activities under one Department Program and established a revolving fund for the Isotope Program. Congress authorized this fund to, among other things, produce isotopes for use in research and development (R&D).