The Natural Gas Act of 1938, as amended, requires any person who wishes to import and/or export natural gas, (including liquefied natural gas, compressed natural gas, compressed gas liquids, etc.) from or to a foreign country must first obtain an authorization from the Department of Energy. The authorizations are granted by the Office of Regulation and International Engagement, Division of Natural Gas Regulation.
DOE grants two types of authorizations, short-term (blanket) and long-term authorizations. A short-term authorization enables a company to import and/or export natural gas on a short-term or spot market basis for a period of up to two years. Long-term authorizations are generally used when a company has a signed gas purchase or sales agreement/contract, or tolling agreement, or other agreement resulting in imports/exports of natural gas, for a period of time longer than two years.
If you would like to learn more about this process, please see our page on How to Obtain Authorization to Import and/or Export Natural Gas and LNG.
Recent Orders Issued by the Energy Department:
- Lake Charles Exports, LLC – Order No. 3324-A and Lake Charles LNG Export Company, LLC – Order No. 3868, Granting Long-Term, Multi-Contract Authorization to Export LNG by Vessel from the Lake Charles Terminal to non-FTA countries – (7/29/16)
- Cameron LNG - Opinion and Order 3846 Granting Long-Term, Multi-Contract Authorization to Export LNG by Vessel from Trains 4 and 5 of the Cameron LNG Terminal in Cameron and Calcasieu Parishes, Louisiana, to non-FTA countries. (7/15/2016)
- Procedures for LNG Export Decisions
- Addendum to Environmental Review Documents Concerning Exports of Natural Gas from the United States
- List of Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Countries
- Change in Control Applications
Applications, Docket Indexes, Authorizations and Legal Docket Files
- How to Obtain Authorization to Import and/or Export Natural Gas and LNG
- Browse Searchable Database of Current and Historical Applications Submitted to DOE (click SHOW for drop down menu)
- e-Docket Room - View Applications by Year with Links to Docket Indexes
- Public Comment Procedures
- Opinion of Counsel Form
- NEPA Categorical Exclusions (CXs) for Fossil Energy
File Your Application Electronically
Aside from filing applications by hardcopy (courier, fax, mail, etc.), DOE offers an alternative option for filing applications. Companies seeking import and/or export authority from DOE can submit and electronic application. Please our e-filing webpage for more information regarding online submissions. Please note that currently, electronic process is available for short-term authorizations to import and/or export natural gas (including LNG) to and from Canada and Mexico and Importing LNG from Various International Sources.
Importers and exporters of natural gas must file monthly reports on their activities. Reports are required to contain certain information. For the convenience of filers, the Office of Regulation and International Engagement, Division of Natural Gas Regulation provides sample formats for reporting.
- Reporting Requirements and View Sample Formats for Reporting
- Natural Gas Imports and Exports - Quarterly Reports
- LNG Reports
- Other Gas-Related Information Sources
- Semi-Annual Reports
- Long-term contract information and registrations