The Paperwork Reduction Act (PRA) of 1995 requires federal agencies and government-owned, contractor-operated facilities to obtain approval from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) before requesting most types of information from the public, including forms, interviews, and record-keeping requirements, among others.
DOE's Chief Information Officer (CIO) is the Senior Official responsible for DOE PRA compliance. DOE Information Collection Requests (ICRs) must be submitted to the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCI) for approval, unless the ICR is related to statistical energy information collections and customer surveys which is handled by the Energy Information Administration.
Provided below are PRA requirements and implementation guidance:
- USC Title 44 Chapter 35, Section 3507 - Public information collection activities, submission to Director, approval and delegation
- CFR Title 5 Chapter 3, Part 1320 - Controlling Paperwork Burdens on the Public
- Training Presentation: Information Collection Requests/PRA (PDF)
- DOE Order 200.2 Information Collection Management Program – Sets forth Department of Energy (DOE) PRA inplementation requirements. To assist in the development of an ICR, see the templates below:
- Step by Step Instructions - ICR - FINAL
- OMB83 D Discontinuance Form
- 83-I Paperwork Reduction Act Submission form
- Instructions for the Supporting Statement - Revision
- OMB 83 C
- 60 Day Federal Register Notice Proposed - FINAL
- 30 Day Federal Register Notice Proposed - FINAL
- 60 Day Federal Register Notice Extension - FINAL
- 30 Day Federal Register Notice Extension - FINAL