Welcome To the EECBG Program Formula Application Hub!
Voucher Application Portal Released!
Local governments and Tribes can now apply for a technical assistance and/or equipment rebate voucher. Find out how under “Application steps for vouchers” below.
On this page, you will find helpful information about how to apply for formula awards from the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) Program.
We recommend starting with the program’s Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD) and Application Instructions. These documents will provide crucial information about the overall design and structure of the EECBG Program and the application process. Be sure to review these resources to determine if you will pursue a grant or a voucher (for technical assistance and/or equipment/installation rebates)!
How To Apply To Receive EECBG Program Formula Funds
Use the sections below to learn how to apply for your EECBG Program formula award.
Eligible entities may apply for a voucher or a grant, but not both.
New information on the voucher application process is now available! See below for steps to apply for a voucher.
First Steps for Grants & Vouchers
- Check to confirm that your state, local government, or Indian tribe is eligible for an EECBG Program formula award and determine your allocation amount:
- Determine if you will select a voucher or a grant (local governments and Indian tribes only). To learn more, check out Sections 2.3, 9.0, and Appendix 1 of the EECBG Program Application Instructions or watch a webinar (linked below). For specific information about the voucher application, review the newly released Voucher Handbook.
- Review the allowable activities, found on page 6 of the EECBG Program Application Instructions.
Application Steps for Grants
Step 1: Complete Pre-Application Steps
These steps are for grants only. For steps associated with a voucher, see section below.
- Register for the System for Award Management (SAM) at https://www.sam.gov/. Registration in SAM will enable you to receive a Unique Entity ID (UEI) number, which is required to complete nexts steps. Note: This can take three weeks to process, so it’s important to get started early!
- Register in FedConnect, which will allow your organization to receive and acknowledge its award, at https://www.fedconnect.net/.
- Provide information in the Pre-Award Information Sheet and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Expect an email from the PAGE system (which is the portal for application submissions) inviting you to apply within 3 weeks of emailing the Pre-Award Information Sheet.
Step 2: Complete your application and submit it via the PAGE Platform
Once you have obtained your organization’s Unique Entity ID (UEI number) and have received an invitation from the PAGE platform, submit the following forms by either completing the online forms in PAGE, or uploading as attachments to PAGE:
- Standard Form 424 (Application form)
- Standard Form 424A (Budget summary)
- Budget Justification
- Activity File
- Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy (EECS). We recommend using the following optional templates:
- Authorized Applicant: (Assurance Letter or Tribal Resolution)
- Assurance Letter: Davis Bacon Act
- A link to the applicant’s latest single audit as required by 2 CFR 200 Subpart F
- NEPA Statement of Work (for expedited reviews)
- Non-Tribal Statement of Work WITH Preservation Agreement and WITH Ground Disturbance
- Non-Tribal Statement of Work WITH Preservation Agreement and NO Ground Disturbance
- Non-Tribal Statement of Work withOUT Preservation Agreement and WITH Ground Disturbance
- Tribal Statement of Work withOUT PA and NO Ground Disturbance
- NEPA Environmental Questionnaire (EQ-1), if directed to submit
- Indirect Rate Agreement or Rate Proposal (if applicable)
- Certifications Regarding Lobbying (SF-LLL Disclosure Form, if applicable)
Application Steps for Vouchers
These steps are for vouchers only. For steps associated with a grants, see section above.
Step 1: Complete pre-application steps
- Review the EECBG Voucher Handbook for information on voucher eligible uses, application contents, and reporting requirements.
- Note: If you already submitted a Pre-Award Information Sheet to the EECBG Program team and noted that you would apply for a grant, but now you would like to switch to a voucher, that is not a problem. Please write to the EECBG@hq.doe.gov inbox with the below information and wait for next steps:
- Your name
- The eligible entity for which you work (local government or Tribe name and state)
- Specify that you would like to switch from a grant to a voucher (and include the type of voucher, such as rebate or technical assistance).
Step 2: Review EECBG Program Voucher Application Templates
- Review and prepare application information using the Equipment Rebate Application Template and/or the Technical Assistance Application Template. Note: These templates are for informational purposes only and should not be filled out or sent to EECBG.
- Begin to prepare the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy (EECS), which is due with your Voucher application.
- To see the information required to be included in the voucher application, please see one of the templates below:
- The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), in partnership with DOE, will help communities develop an EECS for their EECBG grant. This will include establishing goals and energy planning basics. TA is available to EECBG grantees for 10-20 hours or more upon request. To sign up email EECS_TA@nrel.gov.
Step 3: Complete EECBG Program Voucher Application
If you have already submitted a Pre-Award Information Sheet for the voucher option, please follow these steps:
- You will receive an email from EECBGVouchers@icf.com with your username and a link to set up a password for the voucher portal. Please note the email will be titled “U.S. DOE EECBG Program Voucher Registration.”
- Once you have completed the steps in this email, you may choose your desired voucher option (e.g., technical assistance, equipment rebate) and begin filling out the application. If you would like to pursue both the equipment rebate and technical assistance vouchers, we suggest completing one voucher application at a time.
- Please note if you received this email, you have been pre-registered and should not select ‘register’ on the portal.
- If you do not receive an invitation email by Mid-November, please reach out to EECBGVouchers@icf.com for assistance accessing the portal. Please be sure to check your junk mail before reaching out for assistance.
If you have not yet submitted a Pre-Award Information Sheet, follow these steps:
- Retrieve your UEI number or check to see if you have one here or create a UEI here. Please note, creating a UEI may take 1-3 weeks so please allocate enough time before beginning registration.
- Navigate to the EECBG Program Voucher Portal.
- Click “register” button on the homepage.
- Fill out the required information.
- Once your registration is approved (1-5 days), you will receive an email from EECBGVouchers@icf.com with your username and a link to set up your password for the voucher portal. Please note the email will be titled “U.S. DOE EECBG Program Voucher Registration.”
- Once you have completed the steps in this email, you may choose your desired voucher and begin filling out the application. If you would like to pursue both the equipment rebate and technical assistance vouchers, we suggest completing one voucher application at a time.
- If you do not receive an invitation within 5 business days of registering, please reach out to EECBGVouchers@icf.com for assistance accessing the portal. Please be sure to check your junk mail before reaching out for assistance.
The EECBG Program Voucher Application Portal can be accessed anytime here.
For general questions, please review the “General Questions About Vouchers” section on the EECBG Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.
Resources for Learning & Applying
EECBG Program Eligible Uses & Program Guidance
DOE has published program guidance to provide more information about eligible uses of EECBG Program Funds, share examples of high-impact projects, and provide clear links for technical assistance opportunities across a range of project areas. For more information, see EECBG Eligible Activities and Program Guidance.
Upcoming EECBG Program Webinars
- Jobs and Economic Development Impact (JEDI) Models Training: Nov. 28 at 12 p.m. ET Register here.
JEDI models are user-friendly tools that estimate the economic impacts of constructing and operating power generation and biofuel plants at the local and state levels. Using JEDI, you can analyze the energy impacts of wind, biofuels, concentrating solar power, geothermal, marine and hydrokinetic power, coal, and natural gas power plants.
Recorded Webinars & Slides
View recordings and see presentations of previous sessions of EECBG Program webinars below.
- Introduction to the EECBG Program for states and territories webinar recording.
- Introduction to the EECBG Program for states and territories webinar presentation slides.
- Introduction to the EECBG Program for local governments webinar recording.
- Introduction to the EECBG Program for local governments webinar presentation slides.
- Introduction to the EECBG Program for tribal governments webinar recording.
- Introduction to the EECBG Program for tribal governments webinar presentation slides.
INTRODUCTION TO GRANT APPLICATION PROCESS
Review this webinar for detailed guidance about the EECBG Program Grant Application Process. This webinar includes information about the necessary steps and materials required to apply for the program.
INTRODUCTION TO VOUCHERS OPTION
This webinar includes information about the requirements and process for applying for an EECBG Program Voucher in lieu of a cash grant.
- Watch the voucher option webinar recording.
- Read through the voucher option webinar presentation slides.
This webinar provides EECBG Program Formula Grant applicants with guidance on how to access technical assistance opportunities from the Department of Energy to maximize their EECBG dollars and reduce administrative burden.
- Watch the technical assistance webinar recording.
- EECBG Program technical assistance webinar presentation slides.
This webinar provides EECBG applicants with tools and knowledge they need to implement Justice40 goals into their EECBG projects.
PAGE Webinar training
This webinar provided a training for EECBG Program formula grantees pursuing the direct grant option (not the voucher). Because it used the PAGE platform to demonstrate the training live, there are no slides.
EECBG PROGRAM BLUEPRINTS
The EECBG Program Blueprints are model projects and programs designed to help local and tribal governments achieve high impact results with limited grant dollars. Blueprints offer ideas in energy efficiency, renewable energy, transportation electrification, clean energy finance, and workforce development.
Key activity areas under each blueprint serve as a step-by-step guide for communities to follow. Each activity is accompanied by relevant tools and resources that go into much more detail. EECBG Program grantees are encouraged to consider blueprints as inspiration for ways they could use their grant dollars.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS, ADMINISTRATIVE & LEGAL REQUIREMENTS, AND GUIDANCE
Below are important documents you will need to read to prepare to apply for the EECBG Program Formula Grant.
Below are important documents you will need to report on your EECBG Program Grant.
Below is a document that can help you to understand the grant application and management process:
Below is a document that can help you understand the voucher application and management process:
EECBG Program Formula Grant Allocation Information
Grant Application Templates
Pre-Award Information Sheet (your notification of the intent to apply) due to DOE as soon as possible. Submit to our inbox: EECBG@hq.doe.gov.
Templates required in final direct grant application (in PAGE) – due by April 30, 2024.
Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy (EECS) Templates – due with the final application by April 30, 2024.
National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) Statements of Work:
Voucher Application Templates
Voucher Application Templates:
Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy (EECS) Templates:
National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) Statements of Work: