Office: Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations
FOA number: DE-FOA-0002936
Access the FOA: OCED eXCHANGE
FOA Amount: Approximately $6 Billion
On March 8, 2023, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) issued a Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for approximately $6 billion to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions in energy-intensive industrial subsectors through transformational, commercial-scale demonstration projects. This FOA seeks to demonstrate the technical and commercial viability of industrial decarbonization approaches to promote widespread technology implementation and help the U.S. lead in low- and net-zero carbon manufacturing. DOE will provide financial assistance through cooperative agreements to fund up to 50 percent of the cost of each project while prioritizing a portfolio of projects that offer deep decarbonization, timeliness, market viability, and community benefits.
Eligible applicants include for-profit organizations and owners or operators of a domestic, non-federal non-power industrial or manufacturing facility engaged in energy intensive industrial processes as stated in the Inflation Reduction Act.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information on eligibility.
This funding opportunity has three topic areas:
- Near-Net-Zero Facility Building Projects
- Facility-level Large Installations and Overhaul Retrofits
- System Upgrades and Retrofits for Critical Unit Operations or Single Process Lines Within Existing Facilities
OCED expects to make up to 65 awards between $35-500M each with a minimum of a 50% cost-sharing from the awardees.
Additional funding opportunities may follow this announcement to validate and accelerate commercialization of industrial decarbonization technologies.
Funding Opportunity Announcement Issue Date:
Submission Deadline for Concept Papers:
04/21/2023 by 5 p.m., ET
Concept Paper Informational Webinar:
06/7/2023 at 11 a.m., ET
Submission Deadline for Full Applications:
08/11/2023 by 5 p.m., ET
Expected Date for Selection Notifications:
Early CY 2024
Expected Timeframe for Award Negotiations:
Winter 2023/24 – Spring 2024
- Download the Funding Opportunity Announcement on OCED eXCHANGE
- Review the Community Benefits Plan Guidance
- All applicants must register and submit application materials through OCED eXCHANGE
- Register for the Concept Paper Feedback Webinar
- Sign up for the Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) email list to get notified of new OCED funding opportunities and to stay up to date with the latest news
- Contact: OCED_Industrial@hq.doe.gov