Office: Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations
FOA Number: DE-FOA-0002970
Access the FOA: OCED eXCHANGE
FOA Amount: $300 Million
On March 1, 2023, the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) issued a $300 million Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for the Energy Improvements in Rural or Remote Areas (ERA) Program. This program will provide financial investment, technical assistance, and other resources to advance clean energy demonstrations and energy solutions that are replicable and scalable for rural and remote areas of the U.S. with 10,000 or fewer inhabitants. The FOA is organized into nine geographic regions, each with its own set of broad energy challenges that provide applicants the opportunity to propose creative solutions at a variety of sizes and scales. ERA aims to fund clean energy projects with three specific goals:
- Deliver measurable benefits to energy customers in rural or remote areas by funding replicable energy projects that lower energy costs, improve energy access and resilience, and/or reduce environmental harm
- Demonstrate new rural or remote energy system models using climate-resilient technologies, business structures that promote economic resilience, new financing mechanisms, and/or new community engagement best practices
- Build clean energy knowledge, capacity, and self-reliance in rural America
Eligible applicants include institutions of higher education, for-profit and non-profit organizations, state, local governments and Tribal Nations, incorporated and unincorporated consortia.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information on eligibility.
This funding opportunity has two topic areas:
- Community-Scale Demonstrations: To implement clean energy projects with a federal cost share of at least $5 million and at most $10 million.
- Large-Scale Demonstrations: To implement clean energy projects with a federal cost share of at least $10 million and at most $100 million.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information on topic areas.
OCED expects to make anywhere from 4-20 awards between $1-100M each with a minimum of 20% or 50% applicant cost share depending on applicant cost share eligibility. Additional funding opportunities may follow this announcement.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information.
Submission Deadline for Concept Papers:
04/14/2023 by 5 p.m., ET
03/29/2023 by 2 p.m., ET
Concept Paper Feedback Webinar
06/06/2023 at 2 p.m., ET
Submission Deadline for Full Applications:
|08/02/2023 by 5 p.m., ET|
- Download the Funding Opportunity Announcement on OCED EXCHANGE
- Review the Community Benefits Plan Guidance on OCED EXCHANGE under the ERA FOA posting
- Download the ERA FOA Guidance document on OCED EXCHANGE under the ERA FOA posting
- Read the Funding Opportunity Announcement Press Release
- Register to attend the June 6, 2023 Concept Paper Feedback Webinar
- Access the Technical Assistance webpage
- All applicants must register and submit FOA application materials through OCED EXCHANGE
- Sign up for the OCED email list to get notified of new OCED funding opportunities and to stay up to date with the latest news
- Contact: ERAFOA1@hq.doe.gov