Office: Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations
FOA Number: DE-FOA-0003139C
Access the FOA: OCED eXCHANGE
FOA Amount: $50M
On September 26, 2023, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) issued a $50 million Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for the Distributed Energy Systems (DES) Demonstrations Program. This new program seeks to fund distributed energy systems (DES) that demonstrate successful technical and financial approaches to aggregate large amounts of distributed energy resources to support resilience and community benefits.
The FOA will fund demonstrations that prove out the operations and the financial value of connected energy systems with high amounts of renewable generation, (megawatts and various assets like electric vehicles), commercial and industrial facilities, and smart buildings and homes.
The DES Program aims to fund 2-4 projects at $10M-$25M each, focused on the following requirements:
- Using a distribution grid with at least 20MW peak load
- Utilizing a distributed energy resources (DER) with an aggregated capacity of at least 25% of the grid system peak load
- Ensuring at least 50% of distributed energy resources are in place and/or enrolled at the application stage
DOE anticipates that funds will primarily support system planning, enhancements to sensing, communications and control infrastructure, control software, with a limited portion of funds supporting deployment of distributed energy assets.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information on objectives.
Eligible applicants include utilities (municipal, cooperative, and investor-owned utilities) and for-profit entities with an established portfolio of aggregated DERs under contract.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information on eligibility requirements.
OCED expects to make anywhere from 2-4 awards at $10M-$25M each for the DOE share. Awards have a 50% minimum required non-federal cost share. Additional funding opportunities are dependent upon future appropriations.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information.
|Funding Opportunity Announcement Issue Date:||9/26/2023|
|Submission Deadline for Concept Papers:||12/13/2023 by 5 p.m., ET|
|Submission Deadline for Applications:||4/15/2024 by 5 p.m., ET|
- Download the Funding Opportunity Announcement on OCED EXCHANGE
- Read the Funding Opportunity Announcement Press Release
- All applicants must register and submit FOA application materials through OCED EXCHANGE
- Sign up for the OCED email list to get notified of new OCED funding opportunities and to stay up to date with the latest news