Office: Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations
FOA Number: DE-FOA-0003009
Access the FOA: OCED eXCHANGE
FOA Amount: Up to $450 Million
On April 4, 2023, the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) issued a $450 million Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for the Clean Energy Demonstration Program on Current and Former Mine Land (CEML). Projects under this funding announcement will demonstrate the technical and economic viability of deploying clean energy projects on current (operating) and former (abandoned or inactive) mine land. Eligible clean energy technologies include solar; micro-grids; geothermal; direct air capture; fossil-fueled electricity generation with carbon capture, utilization, and sequestration; energy storage; and advanced nuclear technologies. Up to five clean energy projects will be carried out in geographically diverse regions, at least two of which will be solar projects.
Eligible applicants or subrecipients include institutions of higher education, non-profit entities, for-profit entities, Indian Nations, state and local governmental entities, incorporated consortia, and unincorporated consortia.
For more information on eligibility, please download the full funding opportunity.
Program Areas of Interest
This funding opportunity has four Areas of Interest (AOIs):
- AOI A: PV solar with/without battery energy storage on current mine land
- AOI B: All eligible clean energy technologies on current mine land
- AOI C: PV solar with/without battery energy storage on former mine land
- AOI D: All eligible clean energy technologies on former mine land
OCED expects to make up to five awards between $10-150M each with a minimum of a 50% cost-sharing from the awardees.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information.
Funding Opportunity Announcement Issue Date:
Funding Opportunity Announcement Informational Webinar
4/19/2023 at 2 p.m. ET
Submission Deadline for Concept Papers:
5/11/2023 by 5 p.m. ET
Submission Deadline for Applications
8/31/2023 by 5 p.m. ET
- Download the Funding Opportunity Announcement on OCED EXCHANGE
- Review the Community Benefits Plan Guidance
- Register to attend the Funding Opportunity Announcement Informational Webinar
- All applicants must register and submit FOA application materials through OCED EXCHANGE
- Apply for Clean Energy on Mine Land Technical Assistance
- Sign up for the OCED email list to get notified of new OCED funding opportunities and to stay up to date with the latest news
- Contact: MinelandFOA@hq.doe.gov