Office: Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations
FOA Number: DE-FOA-0002963
Access the FOA: OCED eXCHANGE
FOA Amount: up to $820 million
On Feb. 23, 2023, U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) issued a Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for up to $820 million of federal funding at a maximum of 70% federal cost share for up to 10 carbon capture large-scale pilot projects designed to further the development of transformational technologies that capture carbon emissions from existing coal or natural gas electric generation facilities and existing industrial facilities not purposed for electric generation.
This FOA seeks projects that will de-risk transformational carbon capture technologies and address community concerns through meaningful engagement and robust analysis of impacts, risks and benefits such as emissions, water usage, and jobs, and catalyze private sector follow-on investments for first-of-a-kind commercial-scale demonstrations on carbon emission sources across the power and industrial sectors.
Eligible applicants include institutions of higher education, non-profit entities, for-profit entities, Tribal nations, state and local governmental entities, incorporated Consortia, and unincorporated Consortia.
Download the full funding opportunity for more information on eligibility.
This funding opportunity has two topic areas:
- Carbon Capture Large-Scale Pilot Projects at Industrial Facilities Not Purposed for Electric Generation
- Carbon Capture Large-Scale Pilot Projects at Coal or Natural Gas Electric Generation Facilities
OCED expects to make up to 10 awards between $4-136M each with a maximum of up to 70% federal cost share.
Additional carbon capture large-scale pilot FOAs may be issued in the future.
Funding Opportunity Announcement Issue Date:
Submission Deadline for Concept Papers:
04/05/2023 by 5 p.m., ET
Submission Deadline for Full Applications:
07/07/2023 by 5 p.m., ET
Expected Date for Selection Notifications:
Expected Timeframe for Award Negotiations:
- Download the funding opportunity announcement on OCED eXCHANGE
- Review the Community Benefits Plan Guidance
- All applicants must register and submit application materials through OCED eXCHANGE
- Access Carbon Matchmaker, an online information resource to connect users and facilitate the formation of project teams across carbon capture, utilization, and storage and carbon dioxide removal supply chains
- Read the Funding Opportunity Announcement Press Release
- Sign up for the Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations OCED) email list to get notified of funding opportunities and to stay up to date with the latest news
- Contact: CCpilotsprogram@hq.doe.gov