Sean McGarvey is the president of the North America's Building Trades Unions and is a glazier by trade.
McGarvey began his career in 1981 in Philadelphia with Glaziers Local Union 252 of the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT) and worked his way up through various leadership positions within the IUPAT.
In 2005, he was elected secretary-treasurer of North America's Building Trades Unions. In 2012, McGarvey was unanimously elected by the Governing Board of Presidents of North America's Building Trades Unions and was unanimously re-elected in 2015 by the delegates to the 69th Convention of North America's Building Trades Unions.
McGarvey currently serves in various capacities for a number of organizations:
- Co-chair of the Oil and Natural Gas Industry Labor-Management Committee
- Co-chair of the Chemical Industry Labor - Management Committee; member, U.S. Council on Competitiveness
- Secretary-treasurer, the Union Labor Life Insurance Company (ULLICO)
- Treasurer, National Alliance for Fair Contracting Inc.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, National Coordinating Committee for Multi-Employer Plans
- Chairman, CPWR, The Center for Construction Research and Training
- Labor co-chair of the Center for Military Recruitment, Assessment, and Veterans Employment (CMRAVE), which operates the "Helmets to Hardhats" program; board of directors Diabetes Research Institute (DRI)
- Board of directors Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI)
McGarvey also serves on several other union construction industry labor-management committees.
McGarvey holds a bachelor of arts degree from the National Labor College and is a graduate of the Harvard University Trade Union Program.