Current full-time undergraduate students—who are familiar with Native American culture and tribal issues—are needed to support projects funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy. Our student interns assist a cross-disciplinary team to perform specific technical tasks in the field and at DOE’s Sandia National Laboratories. Learn about past interns.
Interns will work with Sandia's renewable energy staff, along with Native American tribes interested in energy systems. The internship program offers the opportunity for instant immersion in project planning and development activities working directly with experienced, internationally recognized energy experts. The work may involve local travel, including field visits to tribal energy project sites.
Over the course of the 12-week internship, interns may:
- Work with existing tribal energy projects and gain exposure to issues concerning energy technology use and application
- Interact with Sandia's energy program staff and American Indian tribes interested in energy systems
- Work directly with experienced peers on energy systems and tribal energy projects
- Travel locally for field visits to current tribal energy projects.
Current full-time undergraduate students with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 are eligible to apply. Applicants must be U.S. citizens with the ability to work up to 40 hours per week. Many factors are considered in the selection of an intern, including interests, academic achievement, and applicable experience, as well as Sandia's workforce needs. Applicants must pass a pre-employment security check (local and federal law enforcement, driver's history, personal references, and education, credit, and employment checks).
How to Apply
Apply to each job you are interested in separately, following these steps:
- Use Sandia's Careers tool to create a username and password.
- Search for internship and select “Intern - Photovoltaics & Materials Tech Technical Undergraduate Summer” (Job ID 665829)
- Complete your online application.
Detailed instructions for using Sandia's Careers tool to apply for a position are also available.