You are here
Current full-time undergraduate and graduate students—who are familiar with Native American culture and tribal issues—are needed to support projects funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy. Our student interns assist a cross-disciplinary team to perform specific technical tasks in the field and at DOE’s Sandia National Laboratories. Learn about past interns.
Interns will work with Sandia's renewable energy staff and American Indian Outreach Committee, along with Native American tribes interested in renewable systems. The internship program offers the opportunity for instant immersion in project planning and development activities working directly with experienced, internationally recognized energy experts. The work requires travel, including field visits to renewable energy project sites.
Over the course of the 12-week internship, interns will gain experience with some or all of the following renewable energy systems:
- On-grid photovoltaic (PV) installations — New Mexico
- Off-grid PV electricity system — Arizona and New Mexico
- Off-grid PV/small wind hybrid system — Arizona, Utah (Navajo), and California (Ramona)
- Large-scale commercial wind farm — New Mexico (Taiban Mesa)
- Solar power tower — New Mexico (Sandia Labs)
- Distributed energy resource systems: large PV array, microturbine, fuel cell, large battery bank — New Mexico (Sandia Labs).
Current full-time undergraduate and graduate students with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 are eligible to apply. Applicants must be U.S. citizens. Many factors are considered in the selection of an intern, including interests, academic achievement, and applicable experience, as well as Sandia's workforce needs. Applicants must pass a pre-employment security check (local and federal law enforcement, driver's history, personal references, and education, credit, and employment checks).
How to Apply
Apply to each job you are interested in separately, following these steps:
- Use Sandia's Careers tool to create a username and password.
- Filter by the Student Job Family or Job Type.
- Browse the list of internship and co-op openings.
- Complete your online application.
Detailed instructions for using Sandia's Careers tool to apply for a position are also available.