Our employees use their scientific, technical, and professional expertise to oversee world-class science and engineering programs that push the envelope of creativity and innovation.
Whether you’re a new college graduate, someone with industry experience looking to move into a Federal job, or a current government employee looking for a new adventure, NNSA can offer you a competitive salary and exciting career opportunities.
Learning doesn’t stop with a college or post-graduate degree. It is a key part of individual career development and is central to NNSA’s efforts to build a highly-skilled workforce ready to meet the challenges of a changing world.
Whether you're a student seeking to learn more about a future career, just starting out, mid-career or an experienced executive, NNSA may have the right opportunity for you!
All job listings for NNSA are listed on USAJobs. There you’ll learn what positions are available and where they are offered – NNSA has positions at locations nationwide.
NNSA is run from headquarters buildings spread over three sites: the Forrestal Building in Washington, D.C., home of the Department of Energy; the department's Germantown Building in Germantown, Maryland; and the Albuquerque Complex at Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
In addition, NNSA oversees its contractor-operated national laboratories, production plants, and test and experiment facilities through field offices that are mostly co-located with the facilities they supervise. The field offices are responsible for ensuring compliance with federal contracts to manage and operate the national security assets located in California, Idaho, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.
JOB LINKS WITHIN THE NUCLEAR SECURITY ENTERPRISE
- Kansas City National Security Campus, Missouri
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, California
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico
- National Nuclear Security Administration, Nationwide
- Naval Nuclear Laboratory, Pennsylvania, New York, and Idaho
- Nevada National Security Site, North Las Vegas, Nevada
- Pantex Plant, Amarillo, Texas
- Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California
- Savannah River Site, Aiken, South Carolina
- Y-12 National Security Complex, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Our pay and benefits
NNSA operates an alternative pay system designed to attract and retain the best and brightest workers in the national security field. Known as "pay-banding," this pay system focuses on pay-for-performance rather than increases based on longevity.
The pay system collapses the traditional 15 General Schedule pay grades into broad pay bands. It features comprehensive career paths covering professional, technical, administrative, and support occupations with three or four pay bands in each career path.
The system allows NNSA managers to set higher pay for their employees through appointments, promotions, and performance evaluations. The goal is to improve recruitment efforts and motivate and retain key employees through faster pay progression for high-performing employees.
|Career Path||Pay Band I||Pay Band II||Pay Band III||Pay Band IV|
|Engineering & Scientific (NN)|
|Professional, Technical & Administrative (NQ)|
|Nuclear Materials Courier (NV)|
|Technician & Administrative Support (NU)|
Base pay levels as of January 2021.
NNSA positions are divided into four career paths:
- Engineering and Scientific Career Path (NN) - All professional positions in the GS-800 engineering family and GS-1300 physical sciences family.
- Professional, Technical, and Administrative Career Path (NQ) - All OPM-recognized professional occupations (except GS-800 engineers and GS-1300 physical scientists) requiring positive education requirements, and all other subject-matter, business, and administrative occupations characterized by a traditional two-grade interval pattern of grade progression (i.e., GS-5/7/9/11).
- Nuclear Materials Courier Career Path (NV) - All positions in the GS-084 job series.
- Technician and Administrative Support Career Path (NU) - All technician, secretarial, assistant, and clerical occupations, and similar positions characterized by a traditional one-grade interval pattern of grade progression (i.e., GS-5/6/7/8).