You are here

The Headquarters Accommodation Program Manager works with DOE managers, employees and visitors to provide information and assistance related to persons with disabilities. Areas of assistance include: Auxiliary services, such as sign language interpreting services, readers for the blind, or personal assistants for the physically challenged Guidance and information regarding accommodations, as well as laws and regulations related to persons with disabilities Department-wide coordination of the Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP) for assistive/adaptive technology removal of physical, environmental or attitudinal barriers for individuals with disabilities

All services are confidential

Who Qualifies As An Individual With A Disability?

A qualified individual with a disability is one who, with or without an accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the employment position that such individual holds or desires.
In order for an individual to be entitled to a reasonable accommodation, s/he must have a disability pursuant to the definition outlined in the Rehabilitation Act, as amended. An individual has a disability* for purposes of the Act if s/he:

  1. has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity; or
  2. has a record of such an impairment

*shall not apply to impairments that are transitory and minor. A transitory impairment is an impairment with an actual or expected duration of 6 months or less.

Reasonable Accommodation

The Department of Energy provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.

A reasonable accommodation is any adjustment or alteration to a job or the work environment that will enable a qualified employee with a disability to perform essential job functions. It may also include adjustments to assure that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. Accommodations are provided on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the individual’s need, the specific disability and existing limitations, the essential functions of the job, and the work environment. Many accommodations can be provided at little or no-cost, such as job restructuring; while some may require funds* and time to put in place, such as acquiring or modifying equipment. The employee should be involved with the selection of the accommodation, and management should work with the individual to provide an accommodation that will be effective.

Assistive Technology

Assistive or Adaptive Technology commonly refers to "...products, devices or equipment, whether acquired commercially, modified or customized, that are used to maintain, increase or improve the functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities..."---Assistive Technology Act of 1998

At DOE, the Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP) provides assistive technology, devices and services, such as needs assessments and assistance, free of charge to federal employees with disabilities at work or in the telework environment.*

To place a request with CAP, go to: The site provides information about the program and how to apply for technology or assessments. Applicants may submit the request on-line or print and submit a hard copy to the CAP office. Contact the Headquarters Accommodations Program Manager or a CAP representative for assistance.

*Once the technology has been provided, assistive technology becomes the property of DOE and support services are handled through the IT Help Desk.

Ergonomic Assistance

For information on an ergonomic assessment, contact your office’s Safety and Health Officer.

Handicapped Parking at Forrestal and Germantown Facilities

It is the policy of the Department of Energy (DOE) that its parking facility be operated in a manner responsive to the needs of the Department, and for the maximum benefit of its employees. Individuals with temporary or permanent mobility impairment who, because of their condition, wish to have handicapped parking at either the Forrestal or Germantown facilities must obtain a permit from the parking office. For more information contact: Forrestal – 6-4271 or Germantown – 3-7050.