The Office of Talent Management (OTM) is dedicated to, engaging, developing, retaining and advancing a diverse workforce of right-fit talent for the Department. As a steward and facilitator of the talent strategy, OTM provides employees and supervisors with a wide range of resources, including, professional development, leadership training and educational opportunities to cultivate individual and organizational excellence.
The Office of Talent Management comprises a complex set of management processes designed to manage Department of Energy’s greatest assets: their people. Through its two Divisions (, Learning and Workforce & Organization Development) OTM enhances the Department’s organizational culture by championing training and career development; competency management; and employee engagement and retention.
- Manage workforce development programs and evaluate their effectiveness to ensure that they improve performance and transfer knowledge and skills to DOE employees.
- Provide guidance and resources to define, assess, and close critical workforce competency skill gaps.
- Establishes, supports, and monitors strategic approaches to achieving and sustaining continuous improvement in DOE workforce engagement and organizational effectiveness.
Workforce and Organization Development Division (WOD)
Strengthens DOE’s workforce capacity by providing quality, responsive, and innovative workforce development tools, services, and solutions to create a culture of continual learning which promotes and fosters high performance and a rich quality of work-life to drive a performance-oriented culture.
- Identify and develop workforce competency models, conducts workforce competency-based needs assessments, develop and administer evaluations for workforce development activities and analyze the results to determine their impact and effectiveness.
- Design, implement, maintain, and evaluate Leadership and Career Development Programs.
- Establish, support, and monitor strategic approaches to achieving and sustaining continuous improvement in DOE workforce engagement and organizational effectiveness.
- Develop business intelligence, demographic and trends analyses in support of increased understanding of drivers/factors of workplace culture that impact employee engagement.
- Administer and promote the annual Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey (FEVS), including the distribution of survey results and associated analyses.
- Promote actions and best practices to strengthen employee engagement across the department through creation and management of engagement forums and Communities of Practice.
Learning Division (LD)
Strengthens DOE’s workforce capacity and build a culture of continual learning and knowledge sharing by providing quality, responsive, and innovative learning products, and services.
- Evaluation – Develops and administers evaluations for learning activities and analyzes the results to determine their impact and effectiveness.
- Learning Acquisition – Connects customers to appropriate learning solutions. Procures, implements, maintains, monitors enrollment and evaluates professional learning offerings for individuals and groups.
- Training Funds Management – Evaluate and report departmental training expenditures; analyze and identify opportunities for efficiencies and savings
- Learning Management – Manage the Learning Management System and develop policies and procedures for workforce development training
- Training Needs Assessment – Plan, administer, or evaluate training programs; conduct training needs assessments; compile requirements and determine ways to address the requirements through the creation of Annual Learning Plans.