At the height of summer you may be feeling the heat from the sun and high energy bills. To help you stay comfortable and save money, Energy Saver offers tips on beating the heat.
To start, check out our new video on how to adjust a programmable or smart thermostat to save up to 10% per year on energy bills. This whiteboard video explains what temperature to set your thermostat at, when to alter your program, and how a smart thermostat can maximize your energy savings.
Also consider these energy- and money-saving strategies for staying cool on the hottest days:
- Close blinds and curtains on sunny days to prevent heat gain through the windows.If you live in a climate where it cools off at night, open your windows and turn off your cooling system. If you don’t want to leave windows open all night, early mornings can also be a good time to allow cool air into the house.
- If you have a whole-house fan, use it to pull the cool air into your home at night or in the early morning through open windows. Turn off the fan and shut the windows during the day.
- Use bathroom and kitchen fans to remove heat and humidity produced by bathing and cooking
- Use ceiling fans when you are in the room to create a wind chill effect on your skin. You’ll feel cooler and will be able to raise the thermostat about 4°F.
- Plan meals that require minimal cooking, or try to use a microwave or cook outside on a grill.
- Run the dishwasher and laundry at night when it’s cooler, and only run full loads. Consider air drying dishes and clothes.
Summer has only just begun, so get your strategy ready to stay cool and save money!