1. Project Critical Decision Assessment Tool (CDAT)
Successor tool to the EM Project Definition Rating Index (PDRI), recommended for developing projects that have not started using the EM PDRI
The Office of Environmental Management (EM) Project Critical Decision Assessment Tool (CDAT) was developed by an EM team as a successor to the EM PDRI (which has been successfully used to assist project planning and as CD assessment tools for well over a decade) for use on EM's projects. The CDAT is designed to help measure EM project maturity levels and, most importantly, to assess and/or self-assess readiness for achieving each of the four DOE Critical Decision (CD) levels. The CDAT incorporates the lessons learned over the years through its continuous use (as the EM PDRI) on EM projects. The EM-CDAT tool uses the full range of project elements grouped by cost, schedule, scope, technical, management, planning/control and safety. These elements and their associated rating criteria encompass and are in conformance with most current version of applicable DOE Orders, Standards, Guides, EM policies and federal regulations.
The EM CDAT was originally published in 2000 and entitled the “EM PDRI.” In a May 2018 presentation of the updated tool for the EM Applied Cost Engineering (ACE) team, they recommended changing the name to the present CDAT, which better describes the purpose of the tool and avoids confusion with a commercial product, (Project Definition Rating Index (PDRI), which is a project scope definition tool developed under the guidance of Construction Industry Institute.
In order to be useful for all of the types of EM’s projects, three CDAT sets were developed, tailored to the unique requirements of each of the three main types of EM projects: 1. Construction; 2. Environmental Restoration (CERCLA/RCRA); and 3. Facility Deactivation and Decommissioning (Non-CERCLA D&D projects). The user makes project maturity level determinations by assigning numerical scores for each element based on a measure of how well each elements meets its specific associated criteria. The overall total score indicates the entire project’s level of maturity and degree of success in achieving each CD level.
The latest version of all three sets, as well as the CDAT manual, are available for download below. As an interim measure, please continue to use the older 2001 version (EM PDRI) manual posted below. Also, some existing projects will need to continue to use the 2001 version for continuity, therefore the intention is that both the new 2018 and older 2001 versions will continue to be made available for download for some time. If you have questions about the EM-CDAT, please contact Rodney Lehman at Rodney.Lehman@em.doe.gov, 301-903-6104.
To download the 2018 EM CDAT, please select the desired phases from the list below:
- EM CDAT update forwarding memorandum
- EM Project Critical Decision Assessment Tool (CDAT) Manual
- 2018 EM Construction CDAT scoring matrix
- 2018 EM Construction CDAT Criteria
- 2018 EM Environmental Restoration CDAT scoring matrix
- 2016 Updated EM Environmental Restoration CDAT Criteria
- 2018EM D&D (Non-CERCLA) CDAT scoring matrix
- 2018 EM D&D (Non-CERCLA) CDAT Criteria
- Native File 2018 EM CDAT Tool with tabs for Construction, Environmental Restoration and D&D (unprotected). Add columns as needed for self-assessments and/or project reviews.
2. EM Project Definition Rating Index Tool (EM PDRI)
Predecessor tool to the EM CDAT
The EM PDRI was originally published in 2000 and entitled EM Project Definition Rating Index, the “EM PDRI.” This tool was updated to the project Critical Decision Assessment Tool (CDAT), which better describes the purpose of the tool and avoids confusion with a commercial product that utilizes that same “PDRI” name. However, several legacy projects continue to use the original EM PDRI, thus it continues to be made available to all those who continue to wish to use it.
To download the EM CDAT predecessor tool (2001 EM PDRI), please select the desired items from the list below:
- EM-1 Related Memorandum
- EM-PDRI Team Concurrence
- EM-PDRI Manual
- Traditional (Conventional) Projects
- Master EM Project Definition Rating Index - Traditional (Conventional) Definitions
- Environmental Restoration Projects
- Master EM Project Definition Rating Index - Environmental Restoration Definitions
- Facility Disposition Projects
- Master EM Project Definition Rating Index - Facility Disposition Definitions
- Rating Element